LCWRA Assessment and College — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LCWRA Assessment and College

Options
JessieH
JessieH Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited January 29 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi everyone. 
My son is 18 and claiming UC. We have recently sent off the UC50 and awaiting the results. 

He has just been offered the chance to attend college one day a week to attempt his GCSE maths and English. 

From what I understand that would be ok if he had already been awarded the LCWRA but what happens if we are still waiting.  

He has had an awful time of school etc and I really want to help him while he has this little burst of hopefulness, but I know how it has gone in the past. If they remove his claim we will be back to square one. 

He has an EHCP and after the stress of getting that I'm just exhausted.

Any help would be very much appreciated. 
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,386 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Is the course full time? Does he claim either PIP, DLA or ADP? If so when does the course start? 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JessieH
    Options
    The course would be a part time one day a week bespoke course. 
    They said he could start after half term, so in a couple of weeks. 

He gets PIP currently. 

Started claiming UC in September and has been getting sick notes from then.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    As it's part time then he can continue with his UC claim providing the course doesn't stop any other commitments he may have with UC. If has work commitments then his work coach could also include the study in his commitments. 

It would be different if it was a full time course.https://www.gov.uk/guidance/universal-credit-and-students#studying-part-time He will need to make sure he tells them that he's starting the course. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • JessieH
    Options
    Thank you. That's really helpful. 

I think I was just confused as he is still in the assessment period but doesn't actually have to do anything at the moment except have a phone call every couple of weeks. 

So we just need to let his work coach know.

Thank you 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You're welcome. Yes, just let them know. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.