How to become self-employed while on LCWRA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How to become self-employed while on LCWRA

doadf Community member Posts: 2 Listener

Looking for advise as feeling very overwhelmed.

I've recently been given a one off payment of over £1000 for a piece of theatre, I am unlikely to get work like this regularly. I am currently on UC (with housing element) plus LCWRA.

How do I go about declaring self-employment? I have not registered and have no idea how to proceed.

Any help appreciated


  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,102 Scope online community team
    Hey there @doadf and welcome!

    Congratulations on the theatre, what is it you'll be doing if you don't mind me asking? We have a few theatre people in this community. I used to do SFX makeup and small pyrotechnics. :)

    To declare self employment, check out this webpage for more information.  As for your UC claim, you can call and  mention the piece of work so that it's on your records. They may want to speak to you about this, but they just want to check to see if this will be your main form of employment. 
    Albus (he/him)

    Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,189 Disability Gamechanger
    If you are working then you will need to report a change of circumstances for UC and tell them you’re working. 

    As self employed you will need to attend a gateway appointment at your local job centre. You will also need to report your earnings and expenses on the last day of each assessment period. 

    As you have LCWRA then the minimum income floor will not apply to you. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.