Hi, my name is concal! banned from shopping centre. Needing advice. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is concal! banned from shopping centre. Needing advice.

Options
concal
concal Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hello I wonder if you can give us any advice  .
My friend and I are both disabled   . He has autism and speech and language difficulties .
We have both attended  [Name removed by moderator] shopping centre in [Location removed by moderator] for years and never had a problem before. 
We have always felt safe there and especially in the guest services lounge . The staff have always been friendly and helpful.but in march 2023 a new manager took over called [Name removed by moderator] . She has made it a very uncomfortable place to be and  is not empathetic to disabled people at all . She has offended my friend 3 times .  And I have put complaint s in about this because I am able to and my friend is not . All we have asked for  is a meeting with us both there at the same time to resolve this issue . But they are refusing and only way to see us one at a time . My friend can’t defend himself . I have brain injury and cerebella ataxia  and other issues 
My mum is my caregiver.
The company sent me a harrassment warning letter  . So I took to social media to try to be heard  .and   Last week she was trying to provoke me  into arguing with her by threatening and intimidating me and I recorded her  is there anything I can do as I don’t think companies should get away with  this . Now they have banned me me from the centre

Comments

• concal
    Options
    I really am angry that this happened 
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,439 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hiya @concal and welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear this has happen to yourself and your friend. Would your mother be able to speak on both of your behalves as your caregiver? 

I'm afraid we can't give definitive legal advice here, so I would suggest maybe speaking to your local CAB about this? But we can be here to offer support if you needed to talk things through. 

I've had to edit your post to remove names, so as to keep anonymity, I hope that's ok? 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • concal
    Options
    That’s fine thank you I thought you offer legal advice 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,724 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    concal said:
    That’s fine thank you I thought you offer legal advice 
    No, no one here can offer any legal advice because we are not qualified to do that. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,730 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My only advice would be to shop elsewhere and encourage everyone you know to do the same.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• concal
    Options
     I know what you are saying woodbine. But I’m upset she may do it to another person and it has devastating consequences x
  • johndtay
    johndtay Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    Options
    They should be catering for disabled in a much better way. Just banning is a discriminatory issue under the equality act as you are being treated unfairly.
  • JessieJ
    JessieJ Community member Posts: 516 Pioneering
    Options
    You could go to your local newspaper, @johndtay, I know my local one often covers stories where the council, stores etc., have deemed to treat people unfairly.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.