Advice again please — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice again please

Options
rita444
rita444 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
Hello again, IV already posted a couple of posts relating to this ,but need to ask another question.
I'm moving in with my daughter soon 
She's single on legacy benefits pip ESA,sdp Hb, I'm her mum single and IL be moving out of my rented property and into hers. I work partime earn around 700 a month I also claime UC ,and get a top-up to help pay my rent. My question will me claiming UC effect her legacy benefits
Should I just close my claime when I move in . Also if I keep my claime open could I apply for carers element
I don't think il get any top ups anymore as I won't have rent to pay on my property .but I'm wondering 
Weather to keep my claime open and could I claime cares element .or should I just close the claime down.
As not sure if it would affect her legacy benefits. Thanks 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,659 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 1
    Options
    Her SDP will stop unless you are either claiming a disability benefit yourself such as PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or ADP daily living or you are registered blind. She will need to report the changes to ESA.

You do not need to stop claiming UC. The only part that will stop will be housing element. If you move in with her then
    you'll need to report the changes. 

Yes, you can claim carers element for
    looking after your daughter, providing your UC doesn’t include the LCWRA element for yourself. Also if you’re claiming a qualifying disability benefit as mentioned above then her SDP will continue but if you claim carers element it will stop. 

If she’s claiming for help with her rent then she will also be entitled to an extra bedroom for you. 

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • rita444
    Options
    I don't claime LCWRA and I don't get pip .but my daughte gets pip 
    I work partime so I won't get the rent top up any more. Just to clarify . Will my UC effect her housing benefit ,I know she will lose her sdp ,will Hb want to know if I'm on UC and could it change things thanks
  • poppy123456
    edited February 1
    Options
    There will be no non dependent deductions In her housing benefit because she’s claiming daily living PIP. I did advise this on your other thread.

She still needs to report the changes to her local Authority if you move in with her. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • rita444
    Options
    Thanks poppy for your help. I must say this is a great site and I appreciate all that you do 
        Thanks again 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You're very welcome.  :)
  • rita444
    Options
    Hi poppy just another question
    As I want to claime carers element of UC ,who should I inform first ,should I call ESA to inform them I'm moving in on so so date ,as you have said they will stop her sdp . And then should i make a claim for carers element at same time find this confusing  thanks 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    If you’ve already moved in with her then she should have already reported the changes to ESA and her local Authority. Any overpayment will need to be repaid back. 

If you haven’t yet moved in then you should wait to claim carers element because doing so would end the SDP. 

• rita444
    Options
    I haven't moved in with her yet but when I do IL inform ESA most prob a week before I move in I'm her appointee .  Thanks poppy .you all do a great job 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You can't report changes until that change happens. Same applies for all benefits. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.