Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Hi, my name is noelle32! is the money we receive right?

noelle32 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I have an automatic husband that also has colitis, under active thyroid ,arthritis, needs replacement knees ,mental health issues aother medical issues as well. My question is we are on uc and he gets a work related payment from them but because we have only been on uc for 12 months we was getting essa payments from them every other week of just under £300 now it's £105 every other week and uc is taking it out of our uc payment because we can't have both as it should be but they are taking from our uc £255 a month so an extra £50 that we don't get paid but don't know why  .and why they have altered the amount they pay us because he now so much worse than he was when he was first getting it  he also gets pip at a rate of £380 a month. Is there any person who can help me with understanding this or something that is going to help me a carer and receive carers allowance for my mom who's in a wheelchair so I can't work as I have to look after the both of them.we are at breaking point with surviving on such a little amount after the rent and council tax is paid we are left we a payment from uc of £435 then £210 eesa a month and then £312 a month carers allowance.we are paying the pay as you go electric at a cost of around £60-£80 per week and for gas £40-50 per week then the food is not cheap and around £160-£180 when I am able to afford to do a decent shop to cover us  for about 10 days then we if possible top it up when we can. We have had a bailiff letter come and I'm just at breaking point dealing with this all on my own because of his health the money we receive right does anyone know and is there anything else that we are entitled to. We both started work at 13 and through his health and moms stroke is the reason why we are on benefits through no fault of ours.can someone please advise me what to do or anything that will going to help at a point where it's starting to make me think why is it worth living anymore and if it wasn't for my kids and granddaughter I don't think I would be here now but I'm not brave enough or can't be selfish to who I leave behind .i just don't know what to do anymore or where to turn for help. Sorry for the long rambling post but I just can't see anything that is going to help us and I'm just hoping  someone else can.take care everyone and always say I love you to your loved ones as tomorrow is never promised.thanks for reading and I would appreciate any kind help I can receive.noelle x


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,961 Disability Gamechanger
    I found that very difficult to read without paragraphs but I will try my best.

    ESA is a weekly benefit and UC is a monthly one. There’s more than 4 weeks in a month so to work out the deduction of ESA you times the weekly amount by 52 and then divide by 12.

    However the weekly amount of £105 doesn’t make any sense. If he’s in the Support Group then his weekly amount should be £129.50.  Are there any deductions from his ESA at all? 

    You also mention carers allowance but this is just deducted in full from your UC entitlement. Does your UC include the carers element as well? 

    It would be easier if you could tell me all the elements that are included in your UC as well as all the deductions. You can get that information from your UC statements. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 5,552 Disability Gamechanger
    Hey there @noelle32 and welcome to the community. :)
    I'm sorry to hear you've been struggling with making head or tail of the benefits system, it really isn't easy to do.  But I'm glad to see Poppy is here to help you.  We're all here to support you if you need us. 

    I'll leave you two to it, but I just wanted to pop in and say hello. If you wanted to take your mind off things for a bit, we have an excellent coffee lounge and a very active games room that's always heaps of fun. :)

    Albus (he/him)

    Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.