Assessment woes — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Assessment woes

Options
mammahoundy
mammahoundy Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello all. Hope you're all having a better day than me.

I had a pip assessment by video on the computer yesterday and it was awful. I have Trigeminal Neuralgia,  CRPS in my foot and now fibromyalgia. The pip assessor was professional to the point of being like a stern headmistress......she didn't smile at all. I very deeply uneasy talking to her and as I tried to explain that my mum dying has sent me spiralling she told me my answer should be short and concise. She bombarded me with questions that half the time I felt were there to trip me up (could be my paranoia). I found it hard to explain the pain I'm in and teared up a few times. I forgot so much i wanted to say  She made me do exercises in my chair and I tried to tell her that yes I can lift my arms once but prolonged to wash or brush hair, no because I'm in pain. I also tried to explain that I have a constant headache due to the trigeminal neuralgia but when attacks happen the pain comes in 20 second bursts like an electric shock and I can't do anything as they normally last all day.

Now I'm sitting here, very low indeed, going over the 1 and a half hours trying to remember what I've said.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,726 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @mammahoundy morning and welcome to scope, what was said has been said and all you can do now is wait for the decision, it could take between 8-12 weeks maybe sooner, If you don't get an award you can ask in writing for a mandatory reconsideration 
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,439 Scope online community team
    Options
    Heya @mammahoundy and welcome from me too. 

I'm sorry to hear your assessment wasn't a good experience, this can happen unfortunately, but the worst part is out of the way now. It sounds like you had a very rude assessor. 

As Woodbine has already said, it can be a bit of a wait to get a decision, but please know it's not the end of the road if they say no, you have the right to ask for a mandatory reconsideration and you can add notes to it explaining how you feel the assessor is wrong, with real world examples of how your illnesses affect each descriptor.  We're all here to support you if you need us. 

If you wanted to have a chat to likeminded folk, or play some games to take your mind off things, our coffee lounge and games room might offer some relief? 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.