ESA and self-employment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA and self-employment

Options
fizzied
fizzied Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi all. I receive contributory ESA and was placed in the support group. I am considering becoming self-employed, by renting out my property when I move in with my partner. 

I wonder if anyone has experience of moving into self-employment on ESA? Can it be done without being reassessed and potentially losing the benefit? If I make an application for permitted work, but it is rejected, could I be reassessed just for applying? Can they reassess my case even if they decide that the work is 'permitted'?

Pro-rata, the income would be less than £167 per week. I'm not sure exactly what hours the work will take. I will use an agent with full management services to minimise the work I have to do. My partner and family can also provide support if things need doing when I am not well enough, or if the workload would take me over the permitted hours.

I have ME/CFS, at the mild end of the spectrum, which has prevented me from maintaining desk/home-based work for the past 10 years. TBH I was a little surprised to be placed in the support group (having initially been rejected, but immediately got placed in the support group when I threatened to go to tribunal).

If you have any experience of self-employment and ESA I would be really interested to hear about it. Thanks :)
Tagged:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.