New Style ESA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New Style ESA

Options
Kittyc
Kittyc Community member Posts: 49 Courageous
I have just realised that I can apply for new style ESA from a very helpful forum member in another thread.  I am just about to go for voluntary redundancy, have over the amount of capital/private pension.  But worked out I would get £40ish a week, plus free prescriptions (which would be helpful as I have quite a few).

My question - is I have a multitude of disabilities including sensory, mental health and long covid.  I've tried to work but its just a nightmare with not being able to hear, anxiety and fatigue.  How hard is it to get into the support groups?  I have a lot of evidence and I get high care PIP and low mobility PIP for a 10 year award.  Could I send my report from PIP as evidence, hearing charts and long covid clinics.  My stumbling block would be my GP as they seem obssessed about staying in work.  But it is really hard work and I will be out of work.  So I am hoping a fitnote would be easier.  Any advice 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,664 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't know what advice you had in the other thread so just to make sure it's correct. Any pension you receive of up to £85/week is ignored. For every £1 over this amount your ESA is reduced by 50p/week. Assessment rate amount is £84.80/week (25 and over) 

If placed into the Support Group your weekly amount will increase to £129.50/week from the 14th week of your claim. You will not be entitled to free prescriptions when claiming New style ESA because it's not means tested. You can look at the NHS low Income scheme. https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/help-with-health-costs/nhs-low-income-scheme-lis/

The majority of people are placed into the Support Group. I've been in this group myself for coming up to 11 years. You can see the descriptors here. https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance/esa-glossary/support-group-descriptors only one of those needs to apply the majority of the time. 

Yes, you can send your PIP report but please be aware that they are 2 completely different benefits and claiming one doesn't automatically entitle you to the other. You can also send in any other supporting evidence that you think will help.

A fit note isn't classed as evidence so this will not help the assessment itself. You will need to send fit notes to DWP when you claim it anyway. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-employment-and-support-allowance#how-to-apply

ESA can be backdated for a maximum of 3 months, providing you weren't earning more than £167/week at that time or you weren't claiming SSP. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Kittyc
    Options
    Do you need a fit note from the GP if you are unemployed when you apply for this benefit. I am confused whether you need one.  Apologies 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,664 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes you do, it does say this in the ESA link I posted above, please have a read of the links.  You need to continue to send them without any gaps until a decision is made on the work capability assessment. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Kittyc
    Options
    Thanks poppy 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.