LCWRA question — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LCWRA question

AlphabetSoup Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I'm new so I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, I wasn't sure if I should post in "Universal Credit" or "Housing"

I'm hopefully going to be moving in with my boyfriend soon, I currently get PIP and UC with LCWRA. I'm pretty sure I'll lose my UC once I live with my boyfriend coz he earns a tiny bit too much to qualify for UC, but someone told me I'd still get the LCWRA component once I live with him as it relates to my disability and now I'm really confused...

I'd always thought I'll lose my entire UC allowance once we live together including the LCWRA part, is that wrong?

Thanks for your time!


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,240 Disability Gamechanger
    LCWRA is part of UC, it's not a benefit on its own. If there's no entitlement to UC then it will all stop. Once you move in with your partner you must report a change of your circumstances and tell them you're living with your partner. You will then be sent a linking code.

    Your partner will then need to make a claim for UC their self. Then use the linking code to join both claims together. 

    Whether there's any entitlement will totally depend on your joint circumstances. Living with a partner doesn't mean there will be no entitlement to UC. Have you used a benefits calculator and put both your details into it?

    If your PIP includes the daily living part they can claim carers element of UC for looking after you, providing no one else claims this or carers allowance for looking after you. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Jimm_Scope
    Jimm_Scope Posts: 2,705 Scope online community team
    Hi @AlphabetSoup :) Welcome to our community! As Poppy says LCWRA is a part of UC, and so if your UC entitlement stops then you will stop receiving it. However, have you 100% checked you definitely will be above the requirement? I would follow Poppy's advice on setting up a linked claim.

    Your PIP will not be affected of course.
    They/Them, however they are no wrong pronouns with me so whatever you feel most comfortable with
    Online Community Specialist

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us. 
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions are my own, such as mashed potato being bad.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.