If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Start of PIP claim Today

Options
JayJayJuliette
JayJayJuliette Community member Posts: 53 Connected
Hi Everyone I have a couple of questions regarding PIP because my health is going down and really need some extra help.
I wanted to know if you are granted PIP will you lose any of the benifits you are  already on like LCWRA my standard allowence and my housing benifit. Do I have to let universal credit ie my case manager that I am aplying for PIP and do I have to make a change in my account about this. Also can someone tell me why I am supposed to let them know if my health is getting worse, what is the reason for that please if anyone knows.
Thank you
Warm regards 
Jay-Jay x x

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,129 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    PIP isn't means tested so it won't affect any of your other benefits in a negative way. 

I see you're claiming UC so you will only be claiming housing benefit if you live in either supported or temporary housing. Otherwise your rent will be paid in with your UC known as housing element. 

If you're successfully awarded PIP then you will receive this and all of your usual UC. Yes, you can let UC know if you're awarded.  In some circumstances it may even increase your UC but this will depend on your circumstances. 

For example, if you're awarded daily living PIP and you're privately renting, live alone and are under 35 then you'll be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate of LHA instead of the shared rate. Or if you're claiming UC with a partner and they care for you for at least 35 hours per week then they can claim carers element of UC for looking after you. 

Hope this helps and if you need advice about a PIP claim then please do ask. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JayJayJuliette
    Options
    Hi Poppy and thank you so much. So do you mean if I am over 35 I won't get the 1 bedroom rate or did you mean if I am under 35? I am turning 60 at the beginning of March and I live alone and have no one to help me which saddens me a little and I get so frustrated at times not being able to do things, and when I can it takes me forever to get a simple thing done like load the washing machine. I drop things constantly and my cats get impatient that I take so long to prepare their foodies. But I do push on and do my best.

Yes I get housing element, didnt know there was a different name, thank you for that. I think I will need some help with my PIP claim so thank you very much. I've only just started today by calling them, being asked questions and for bank details and now they are going to be sending me a form to fill out and send back, that's where I am right now with it but really appreciate the offer Thank you.
    Warm Regards 
    Jay-Jay x x
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,129 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You're welcome. As you're over 35 if you're privately renting then you should be receiving the 1 bedroom rate anyway so my advice is irrelevant. 

When you receive the form please make sure you fill it in with as much relevant information as possible. Also include a couple of real world examples of exactly what happened the last time you attempted each descriptor that applies to you. 

Please also include detailed information such as where you were, what exactly happened, did anyone see it and what the consequences were. 

Unfortunately, doing house work, washing the clothes, feeding the cat are not considered in the PIP descriptors. You may want to have a read of this while you wait for the forms. It's long but worth having a read so you at least have some knowledge of what it's all about. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria

If you need more advice along the way please do just shout and I'm sure someone will answer.  :)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JayJayJuliette
    Options
    Thank you Poppy for all your help and the link its very much appriciated, I was just being funny about the kitties and was just saying even the easiest of tasks like loading a washing machine are hard for me, never mind about the preperation of food/eating it and walking.
    Many thanks again.
    Warm Regards
    Jay-Jay x x
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.