Son Awarded DLA - New Universal Credit Changes — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Son Awarded DLA - New Universal Credit Changes

Options
Zoey92
Zoey92 Community member Posts: 21 Listener
Hi All, 

I applied back in August/September 23 for my son whilst we were awaiting his autism assessment diagnosis as well as a referral/appointment for suspected ARFID. Good news is that I received a text today saying that my son qualifies for DLA and that I will receive a letter within 2 weeks with details Unsure of which rate he qualifies for right now.

I'm just wondering if anyone would know, 

My son is 5 and I'm currently working 16 hours a week. The new changes to universal credit coming into play from April 2024 are that I would need to now work 30 hours a week. I would rather not change my job as I have been there for nearly 8 years and at the moment, they are unable to offer me full time until minimum next year. So now as my child qualifies for DLA (even if it is the lower rate) as I will have to update UC, does this mean I wont be required to work anymore than my current hours? 

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,395 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If your son has been awarded either mid or high rate care DLA then you will be able to claim carers element of UC for looking after him. By doing this you will not have any work requirements so can do as many or as few hours as you want to. 

To claim it you will need to report a change of circumstances. Then click caring for someone and tell them you care for your son. The carers element will then be included in your claim and will increase your maximum UC entitlement by £185.86/month. 

If he's only been awarded lower rate care then you won't be able to claim carers element and your commitments will remain the same. What will be required of you in the future will depend on your work coach but they should take into consideration the age of your child. 

You should also tell them that he's been awarded DLA and you'll be entitled to the disabled child element. It will be the lower amount of £146.31/month. Or if he's been awarded high rate care then you'll be entitled to the higher disabled child element of £456.89/month. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Zoey92
    Zoey92 Community member Posts: 21 Listener
    Options
    If your son has been awarded either mid or high rate care DLA then you will be able to claim carers element of UC for looking after him. By doing this you will not have any work requirements so can do as many or as few hours as you want to. 

To claim it you will need to report a change of circumstances. Then click caring for someone and tell them you care for your son. The carers element will then be included in your claim and will increase your maximum UC entitlement by £185.86/month. 

If he's only been awarded lower rate care then you won't be able to claim carers element and your commitments will remain the same. What will be required of you in the future will depend on your work coach but they should take into consideration the age of your child. 

You should also tell them that he's been awarded DLA and you'll be entitled to the disabled child element. It will be the lower amount of £146.31/month. Or if he's been awarded high rate care then you'll be entitled to the higher disabled child element of £456.89/month. 
    Thank you. Very helpful.
    I actually have a video call with my work coach booked in at the end of the week I was going to update her then. I'm hoping to have the letter by then. If i dont, would I be able to call dwp and ask which rate he qualifies for or would they just say wait for the letter? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,395 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You're welcome. Yes you can ring DLA and ask what the award is and they will tell you. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.