MR — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

MR

Options
HealthyUnicorn
HealthyUnicorn Community member Posts: 45 Connected
I wondered if anyone has any advice on how to prepare evidence for a mandatory reconsideration. 

I have read advice online that states I should provide everyday examples of how an activity affects against the sections of the assessor report that I disagree with. However, as my award had been reduced and the decision maker at DWP has gone against the assessor (who actually awarded me more that my previous award) I am unsure how to proceed. 

Also, do CAB support people with Mandatory Reconsiderations?

Any advice appreciated. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,916 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The assessor doesn’t award anything, they make recommendations only. Only a decision maker can award points. Before a decision maker makes a decision they look at all evidence you sent, including the form, as well as the report and then come to a decision. 

Were there contradictions in any evidence you sent because this maybe why they went against the report. Of course I can only guess why they did this. 

For the MR you should concentrate on where and why you think you should have scored those points. Don’t focus too much on the report or the actual decision. It’s fine to mention a couple of obvious errors but them put it to one side and forget about it. 

Yes, those real world examples are very important at any stage of a PIP claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • HealthyUnicorn
    Options
    @poppy123456

For the MR you should concentrate on where and why you think you should have scored those points. Don’t focus too much on the report or the actual decision. It’s fine to mention a couple of obvious errors but them put it to one side and forget about it. 

Is there any sort of template that can be used to help with this or do CAB help this?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,916 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I’m not aware of any templates. There’s a form you can use here https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/challenge-a-decision-made-by-the-department-for-work-and-pensions-dwp
    or you can just write a letter. 

You can contact a local advice agency near you to ask if they can help with this. This link will help you find what’s local to you. https://advicelocal.uk/welfare-benefits The best place would be either welfare rights or a law centre.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • HealthyUnicorn
    Options
    I’m not aware of any templates. There’s a form you can use here https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/challenge-a-decision-made-by-the-department-for-work-and-pensions-dwp
    or you can just write a letter. 

You can contact a local advice agency near you to ask if they can help with this. This link will help you find what’s local to you. https://advicelocal.uk/welfare-benefits The best place would be either welfare rights or a law centre.
    Thank you.
  • WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 999 Pioneering
    edited February 8
    Options

my previous award) I am unsure how to proceed. 

That's where to start. Find any papers you can about your previous award and refer to those dates and decisions in your MR request letter.

Keep the request brief if you've already submitted supporting medical evidence to give a new DM with new facts about your previous award the best chance of reversing the decision which reduced your award.  

What I mean is you can do this bit on your own because the appeal stage if they don't change the decision is the time to dig deep. Get the request in asap is my advice   

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.