Carers Allowance — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers Allowance

Options
Nat458
Nat458 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi, I’m new here and was wondering if anyone could help. We are in the process of claiming attendance allowance for my dad who has dementia. He’s had a bit of a rapid decline and can’t be left on his own. The plan is for me to become his carer so my mum can get some respite in the day. I have 2 part time jobs at the moment and I intend to keep one of them (dinner lady at local school so only an hour a day) My question is will I have to give up my other job BEFORE I apply for carers allowance (both jobs would take me over the earnings) and what do I say to the job centre who will pull me in while I’m waiting to hear back? 
I’m currently on Universal Credit and the whole system baffles me!

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,903 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As you’re claiming Universal credit you do not need to claim carers allowance because there’s no financial gain anyway as it’s deducted in full from any UC entitlement.

You can claim carers element of UC, providing you’re not claiming the LCWRA element for yourself. There’s no earnings limit with carers element like there is with carers allowance so if you want you can continue with both your jobs. Or you can stop working or decrease your hours. You will not have any commitments as a carer. Your maximum UC entitlement will increase by £185.86/month. 

If your dad is awarded AA then report a change of circumstances on your journal. Then click caring for someone and tell them you care for him for at least 35 hours per week. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Nat458
    Nat458 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you Poppy, that’s most helpful 😊

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.