Vit D Deficiancy/ feeling like it's never going to get better :( I have had enough — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Vit D Deficiancy/ feeling like it's never going to get better :( I have had enough

Options
smileysun
smileysun Community member Posts: 21 Courageous
I need some support :( I am struggling with my emotions at the moment and my bones hurt! all over :(!  According to my Dr I have a vitamin D deficiency, ( only minor - it's 46.8 so I started taking supplements today. I also have issues with heavy periods, so I started taking ' iron ' I just don't feel like myself and like I've been fighting and fighting and it just isn't getting better. I am a fighter so I will keep trying but I feel so unlike myself, my moods are low Ive trialed working out, but I think because my body is lacking in certain vitamins it's not helping my cause. 
Id really appreciate any help or advice from anybody who has been through a similar thing and has come out on the other side. Thank you!

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,065 Scope online community team
    edited February 8
    Options
    Hello @smileysun, it's awful when you're feeling unwell and can't see an end insight isn't it? I can't talk from a medical standpoint but I know when I've had loved ones with vitamin D and iron deficiencies, they've started to feel better and more positive quite quickly once they start supplements.

It can take a little while to get your levels up, but hopefully now you're taking them you should start to see some improvements soon.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you're getting on. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • smileysun
    Options
    Hi @Adrian_Scope Thankyou for you're reply! it really is, I hate not being able to predict how I might feel from one moment to the next, and when I feel certain emotions I worry they'l stick around forever! 
    Im hoping if I stick to the plan which I've been given, ill start to see improvements, but I need to be more patient and not expect to see results right away! :) 

Thanks for you're kind words, as soon as I start feeling better ill be shouting it from the rooftops for sure! I really don't feel like me. I spent the day crying on the sofa, because I don't know which direction to turn in, ah well there's always a new day I guess!

All the love
  • bookrabbit
    bookrabbit Community member Posts: 196 Pioneering
    Options
    The GP put me on a big booster dose of vitamin D about 6 weeks ago after a blood test and I am thinking more clearly than I have for years now and having fewer headaches so it certainly can help. I am also coping better with the difficult situation I find myself in than I would have thought possible so I definitely recommend taking it.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @bookrabbit Glad to hear it is working so well for you :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • BlackfoxCadara
    BlackfoxCadara Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    Options
    vitamin D outside of supplements you need a min of 20mins of daylight we're kinda like plants in that we need light to, but instead of chlorophyll to make our leaves green we need it to make vitamin D.
    Also ask to speak to a nutritionist as there are some things you can add to your diet that will help you with your vitamin intake, a nutritionist will help you personalise it to your needs.
    It might be also be worth changing your lights in the house to daylight ones (it helps).

As you are having to also suffer from the heavy monthly times also talk to your GP about that you may have POS or something else they might be able to help with as well.
    Don't let them give you a fob off of it being something you have to suffer, because you don't.

• BlackfoxCadara
    BlackfoxCadara Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    Options
    to clarify POS = polycystic ovary syndrome
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,404 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @smileysun, I was severely Vitamin D deficient for a long time and felt really rough with it. I've had courses of high strength Vitamin D from the doctors and have continued topping that up myself since. It took a few weeks but I did start to feel better eventually.

If you're really struggling please do keep reaching out to your GP. It's horrible to have to fight for treatment, but as someone mentioned above, a dietician might be able to help if you're having trouble getting the right things from your diet. It might also be worth investigating the reasons for your deficiencies in more detail to see if they can help the root cause of it all and help you start to feel a bit better in general :)

I hope you're feeling more like yourself soon!
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • smileysun
    Options
    Hi @Rosie_Scope Thanks for you're reply :) that's an excellent idea. I've considered researching/investigating why I seem to be more deficient lately. It's vitamin D and Iron which I'm struggling with. I don't think I could afford a nutritionist, although It's definitely worth asking my dr.
    Ill keep you updated :) 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.