Living with degenerative back issues — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Living with degenerative back issues

Options
catweazle
catweazle Community member Posts: 6 Listener
I've had this bad back since September 2017, I have a degenerative back pars defect.  I have pain continuously.  Ive had an operation and was not successful, but it did stop the sciatica in my leg, but my other leg was fine going into surgery I have no feeling. I've had three appointments as a follow up and been cancelled and re-booked for March. I don't feel I can accept this injury and to move on with my life. Only receiving pip and my stamp is not getting paid. Anyone with advice be a great help. Thank you for reading.

Comments

• SeasideAnne
    SeasideAnne Scope Member Posts: 16 Connected
    Options
    Hi catweazle, I feel for you. I have had a progressively painful back for over 30 years. It was originally from a car accident. Then the disc was prolapsed and pressing on the spinal cord. It got worse. I had spinal surgery 20 years ago, but although it did relieve some pain (a bit) it didn't make it better by any means and I have struggled ever since. Now it just gets worse as the years go by and I am in constant pain. I also have bad arthritis which means both hips are disintegrating. Painkillers don't really help, I have Volterol on prescription which maybe helps a tiny bit. In the end I think you just have to keep going because there's no alternative. I also have progressive MS. I distract myself writing and try to live one day at a time. I hope you find something that helps. If you do please share it here.
  • catweazle
    catweazle Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Thank you for replying.. I had my appt amd the Dr said see u in a years time...really. fed up ..

• SeasideAnne
    SeasideAnne Scope Member Posts: 16 Connected
    Options
    That's not helpful for you. You really need to be getting help and pain relief. Sorry you are no nearer getting that. What can you try ? Well... acupuncture can help, but you need to see someone who is properly qualified in Chinese Medicine, not just a physiotherapist who has gone on a weekend course (sorry to anyone who is upset by that comment). TENS can help with pain, but you have to use it daily and more than once a day probably. An osteopath could maybe help with pain as well. The thing is they all cost money and that in itself is a problem for many of us. I know that doing back exercises (see YouTube), sitting without your legs crossed, being careful not to do anything to pull, twist or strain the back, avoiding any standing (if indeed you stand at all) will all help. I have a memory foam mattress topper which really helps comfort in bed. You can also get back braces that may help. I hope you find relief from pain soon.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.