If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Report in Audit (Independent Assessment Services)

Options
Pjharris84
Pjharris84 Community member Posts: 14 Listener
Hi All, it's the first time I've had my report selected for audit and wondered if anyone has had any recent experience of this and how long you waited for it to go back to the DWP?

I have Autism, Depression and Anxiety, my phone assessment lasted just under 2 hours and I recorded it with the consent of the assessor.  The assessor was wonderful with me and coached me to answer more fully and had the patience to listen to me explaining my routines when it comes to washing and dressing, eating and daily activities, and how I just cannot leave the house.  I think she was great but I worry that I'm too trusting and think it went well when it didn't.  They do ask the same questions a few times and I was prepared for that so made sure I answered consistently.

Hate that it's in audit as I've been fighting for PIP for over a year now and it's frustrating that yet more time is added, I'm at risk of losing my home and I have had to get rid of my car because I can't afford to run it anymore.  Very isolated.

Thanks to all you wonderful people for reading.

PJ

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,135 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It varies depending on each individual case. Sometimes it can be a few days and other times it can be as long as several weeks. 

Once the audit is complete the report will be returned. From there a decision can take up to about 12 weeks. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Pjharris84
    Options
    Thank you @poppy123456!

It's so frustrating isn't it. The first and second time I went through assessments they were sent back the same day or within 24 hrs. I guess my luck ran out.

I've wondered though if it's because I recorded it? Whether they are covering themselves? The assessor said she had over a decade of experience doing these reports.

Best,
    PJ
  • poppy123456
    Options
    It won't be in an audit because you recorded it. That will just be a coincidence. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Pjharris84
    Options
    Thanks Poppy. Sorry for the tag btw, I've just noticed your footer note.
  • Pjharris84
    Options
    Update: I got the text this morning to say that DWP has my report. So only 10 days in Audit. I had phoned the assessment centre twice and chased it up during that time.

Good news. I'm going to ring DWP for a copy of the report now.
  • Pjharris84
    Options
    After 2 attempts (first time put on hold by the call handler who never picked up again) I have managed to get DWP to send me my assessment report in the post.

Let's see what happens 

• poppy123456
    Options
    Please remember that the report isn’t the decision. It’s a recommendation only. Whilst they mostly go with the report it has been known for them to go against it. 
  • Pjharris84
    Options
    Thanks Poppy. I know that they don't always go with the report as I've been through that before :smile:  I'm just glad it's now out of audit and with the DWP :smile:
  • Pjharris84
    Options
    UPDATE:

Received a copy of the assessors report today and, on the whole, reported pretty accurately compared to what I said.

Report recommendations in terms of points are pretty much what I expected. The only thing I question is the mobility element as I stated numerous times that I have to have someone with me on every journey at the moment because I often feel so low and anxious that I have pushed people out of the way, walked into the road and have impulsive thoughts of hurting myself whilst out.  I am not sure that the descriptor selected is appropriate.  

Does the case manager and decision maker read all of the report before making decisions? Because the assessor has mentioned my mental state and the harm part in the report write up at the beginning but hasn't mentioned it in the mobility section. 

Seems odd that it's in one section but not in others.

Anyway, report requested 09/02/2024 and received today 12/02/2024.  Quick turn around.

• poppy123456
    Options
    For the mobility part are there any points recommended at all? Are you able to go out the majority of the time, or do you find going out difficult, even with another person?
  • Pjharris84
    Options
    They awarded 10 points which is great. But I must have someone with me at all times because it's not safe. I can't go to the local shop on my own or anywhere else without my brother with me to keep me calm. So I think they've focused on the overwhelming psychological distress part but failed to recognise the safety and reliability part with regards to familiar journeys (the report makes references to my mental state and how I feel about life right now and my behaviours) so it is evidenced that I'm not safe right now.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Is that for 1E unable to undertake any journey? There's 2 descriptors that score 10 points for following and planning a journey. 

You also didn't answer the question I asked. How often are you able to go out? 
  • Pjharris84
    Options
    Sorry.

I only go out for unavoidable appointments like the doctor or hospital...so only maybe once a month, and only if my brother can take me 

It was 1E.

• poppy123456
    Options
    Thanks. Then that descriptor is correct. If you're unable to undertake any journey the majority of the time, even if there are times when you can go out then 1E will apply. Those that satisfy 1E can't satisfy 1F. 
  • Pjharris84
    Options
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You're welcome. That descriptor confuses a lot of people and they often think that because they are unable to go out alone they can score points for 1F. This isn't the case if you're unable to undertake a single journey on the majority of days. Night time isn't considered in this descriptor either. 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.