Gas was estimated and charged me over £400 while I was sectioned?!

mousey
mousey Scope Member Posts: 43 Contributor
My meter has been broken (it was finally fixed after a year of me complaining to the company about it being broken and it is now a smart meter). So I couldn’t provide gas readings.

They estimated me a bill of £430+ for October to January, the entirety of this time I spent sectioned in psychiatric hospital with the boiler off.

I’ve sent the company evidence of me being in hospital but they said they can’t tell me if they will refund me until they get readings from the gas meter - I have now emailed them saying that I need to get it sorted, basically, since the meter is now fixed. I can’t turn on my heating. I turn on the hot water once a week to wash myself. I am paying over £100 a month and I literally can’t afford to live like a normal person… this is more of a vent than a question but surely they can’t keep this charge in place when I have provided them with proof I was in hospital for 3 months?

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,511 Online Community Programme Lead
    Hi @mousey,

I'm certainly no expert on this topic, but if you've got accurate records of the time you were in hospital and when your meter was broken it seems like you're at least doing the right things to me. A priority is probably getting a meter reading complete so that your future bills are at least accurate.

Also, while emailing them with proof is a great first step in the process, it would be really wise to keep the pressure up and be really clear about what the issues are be really clear about what the issues are and if they don't help, you could try contacting the Energy Ombudsman for assistance.
  • MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 686 Championing

Hello @moussey

I am sorry to hear about your situation. It sounds incredibly frustrating and unfair. It's completely understandable that you feel overwhelmed by the financial burden placed on you, especially given the circumstances surrounding your hospitalisation and the broken meter. 

Before escalating your concern to the Ombudsman, it's essential to adhere to the correct procedures, as your complaint may not be considered if these steps are overlooked. Start by formally lodging a complaint with your energy provider. Instructions on how to do this can be found on your energy supplier's website under their complaints procedure. 

Just a heads-up: If you can't find a customer service email address, it's best to avoid using the 'Contact Us' link. You need a documented record of your formal complaint. Submitting your grievance through a generic form deprives you of documented evidence of the wording of your formal complaint. 

Ensure to state in your email you are making a formal complaint, provide all relevant details, including dates of hospitalisation and any supporting documents. Clearly state the desired resolution, whether it involves an adjustment to your bill or a refund. If the issue remains unresolved after 8 weeks, request a deadlock letter. If the company fails to provide one, as long have you have proof of the date you filed your formal complaint and the 8-week period has passed, you can escalate your grievance against your energy supplier to the energy Ombudsman. 

Have you considered reaching out to charities to find if there is any extra assistance such as grants or benefits, you may entitled to relating to your energy costs. I sincerely hope things improve for you in the very near future.