If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Housing and Independent Living

Options
Queen_K
Queen_K Community member Posts: 183 Pioneering
I am new to this,
I wanted to find out what is Independent Living like?

Comments

• surfygoose
    surfygoose Community member Posts: 440 Pioneering
    Options
    It can depend what sort of independent living suits you. There are different types depending on your wants and needs. Some people have their own flat or bungalow with someone coming in to support them at certain times with what they need. Some people have someone there to support them all the time. Some people share a house with others and may share some of the support in a supported living. All of those different arrangements you usually have your own tenancy agreement you sign and pay rent and bills, and someone can support you to do all of that. For some people residential care suits them better where the package is all inclusive and one care bill pays for all the bills. You may share support or have a one to one support some of the time or all of the time.
  • surfygoose
    Options
    I’m not sure if I’ve explained about the right things as I don’t know what your needs are. I have autism and live in residential care with one to one support and it’s nice. I have friends who live in supported living who enjoy that too.
  • Queen_K
    Options
  • Queen_K
    Options
    I am asking to get ideas to see what kind of things are out there
  • surfygoose
    Options
    Whatever you do just make sure you look around places if you get to the point that you are considering moving and don’t feel pushed in to saying yes to the first place you are offered. I did a lot of visits before I moved in to this care home and it’s great. My last care home we rushed in and it turned out to be not good.
  • Kindy1234
    Kindy1234 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    I live alone in a 3 bed terraced house I'm 64 and disabled I can not keep this house it's far to big for me now it's in a sorry state as I carnt do the jobs that need to be done I would love to live in a ground floor flat or bungalow but they are more expensive than my house is worth is their anything I could do to help myself it's bought outright no morgage xx
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.