Budgeting loans. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Budgeting loans.

megg876 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited February 11 in Universal Credit (UC)
I have paid off my last budgeting loan,and was wondering does anyone know if I could now get another one?
i know there are a few rules to get one such as needing a cooker ect.
my need for one is that I need to get a new pram and cot and some clothes for my baby. Would they let me have one for this reason? Have already wrote on my journal but no one has got in touch.


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,283 Disability Gamechanger
    As you have access to a journal then it's called a Budgeting Advance, rather than the loan. Budgeting loans are for those that claiming the old legacy benefits such as Income Related ESA/JSA and Income Support. They both have different ways to apply. Yes, you can apply for another. 

    There's also a Sure Start Maternity grant if you have no children under the age of 16. There are some other instances where you can still qualify. Full details here. eligibility

    For the advance then you need to ring the helpline to apply, you can't apply through your journal. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/on-universal-credit/budgeting-advance

    Applying for a budgeting advance

    You'll need to apply for your budgeting advance over the phone. To decide if you're eligible, and how much you can get, an adviser will look at:

    • whether you can afford to pay the loan back - they'll see if you have any debts and how much you owe to help work this out
    • how much you have in savings

    You'll normally get a decision on the same day.

    Universal Credit helpline

    Telephone: 0800 328 5644
    Telephone (Welsh language): 0800 328 1744
    Textphone: 0800 328 1344

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • megg876
    megg876 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you for your help 
  • WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 964 Pioneering

    Hi megg, have you considered searching FREECYCLE for free items or attending NCT Nearly New Sales (National Childbirth Trust) for all baby-related items in good condition?

    Charity shops also stock baby equipment and clothes. Your baby will never know! Lots of mums do swaps and use second-hand because things don't really wear out and it saves on cost. 

  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,222 Scope online community team
    Heya @megg876 and welcome to the community. :)

    I can see you've already received some top advice from our regulars, but I just wanted to pop in and say hi. I've moved your post into the UC category, so more people will be able to see it.  I hope that's ok?  
    Albus (he/him)

    Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.