It's pancake day! How do you eat yours? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

It's pancake day! How do you eat yours?

Options
Albus_Scope
Albus_Scope Posts: 4,322 Scope online community team
edited February 13 in Coffee lounge
So today is one of my favorite days of all time, pancake day! Or Shrove Tuesday. 

Christians believe that the 40 days before Easter (called Lent) mark the time that Jesus spent fasting in the desert. Traditionally, Christians would spend this time praying and fasting, which meant not eating a range of foods including meat, eggs, fats and milk.

The days leading up to Lent (known as ‘Shrovetide’) were a time for celebrating before the strict rules started. Children would go ‘Shroving’ or ‘Lent-crocking’ on Shrove Tuesday, which meant knocking on their neighbours’ doors and singing:

"We be come a-shroving,
For a piece of pancake,
Or a bite of bacon,
Or a little truckle of cheese
Of your own making."

Whilst not allowed to eat 'luxury foods' like dairy or meat, people would often try and bend the rules a bit and dine on beaver tails, because they lived by the water and ducks (or barnacle geese as they were known) were allowed as they spent a lot of time in the water, so they were kind of like fish, which was allowed. 

Why pancakes?  Well people had to use up all their produce that would go off during that time, so pancakes seemed like an easy option, plus you can have whatever you want in them. :)

OK, less of the history lesson, let's talk about the important (for me) bit, PANCAKES!

I'm a huge fan of good old lemon and sugar, on proper thin pancakes. I wont try and flip them as every pancake made is very precious to me. ;)

If I'm feeling very fancy, I'll have some Argentine Dulce de Leche with a bit of vanilla ice cream. 

So the big question that the whole team need to know, is how to you have your pancakes? Sweet or Savory? Loads, or only a couple? Nice and thin, or Scotch pancake style?

Let us know!

-Albus- 
Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Opinions expressed are solely my own.
Neurodivergent.

It's pancake day! How do you eat yours? 11 votes

Sugar and lemon
72%
Adrian_Scopemichael57Beaver79WhatTheGlitchJimm_ScopeAlbus_ScopeRosie_Scope 8 votes
Nutella
9%
durhamjaide2001 1 vote
Apple and cinnamon
0%
Savory (bacon, cheese etc)
0%
Other (Let us know below)
18%
Sandy_123Biblioklept 2 votes

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.