If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Vacation to Spain

Options
mrdavidw
mrdavidw Community member Posts: 14 Connected
I am planning to vacation in Spain for three weeks. I was just wondering, can you guys give some suggestions on what to see there? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Spain is rather large, it would help to know which part you will be visiting? 

Ive never been there myself but other members may have and more information will help them to advise you. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,049 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As Poppy said it is a large place.

However one thing I can suggest which I think is relevant pretty much regardless of whereabouts you are going in the country...

Assuming you are staying in one of the popular areas, take a short drive away and into the countryside or nearby villages. The difference between these places which are like "real Spain" and the areas popular with tourists is like night and day. You don't even need to go far either, maybe a 15 minute drive away.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,796 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We prefer the Canary Islands as opposed to mainland Spain warmer and quieter.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    woodbine said:
    Same, that's why I've never been to Spain, never really fancied it. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mrdavidw
    Options
    Spain is rather large, it would help to know which part you will be visiting? 

Ive never been there myself but other members may have and more information will help them to advise you. 
    Barcelona, Madrid and Costa Brava these places are on my mind. I will be going to Camp Nou, for sure. As a Barcelona FC fan, I can't help myself from going there. Nothing is finalised yet. I am looking for information to build an itinerary. 
  • mrdavidw
    Options
    woodbine said:
    Yes, that's also seeming like a viable option
  • jackfruittiger31
    jackfruittiger31 Scope Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    We stay in South East Spain twice a year for approximately 5 - 6 weeks. We take the ferry to Bilbao or Santander and then drive down. We try to visit a few places when we are there and have stayed in different places on the way back. 

There are some really nice places to visit away from the main cities. Some of the roads are superb, others less so. How are you intending to get around?
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My grandfather lived in Spain 25+ years. We would holiday there to see him <3

If you are going anywhere near Alicante, there is so much to do around there. You can travel up the coast (north) to Benidorm, where there are water parks, theme parks, lots of museums...etc. 

If you were looking for something quieter, then you can travel down the coast towards Guardamar, Torrevieja, La Zenia... where there are some smaller water parks, shopping centers and lots of beach side restaurants. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • mrdavidw
    Options
    We stay in South East Spain twice a year for approximately 5 - 6 weeks. We take the ferry to Bilbao or Santander and then drive down. We try to visit a few places when we are there and have stayed in different places on the way back. 

There are some really nice places to visit away from the main cities. Some of the roads are superb, others less so. How are you intending to get around?
    I was thinking of getting a rental car for local places; maybe that will be the most convenient way. Do you have any suggestions? 
  • mrdavidw
    Options
    My grandfather lived in Spain 25+ years. We would holiday there to see him <3

If you are going anywhere near Alicante, there is so much to do around there. You can travel up the coast (north) to Benidorm, where there are water parks, theme parks, lots of museums...etc. 

If you were looking for something quieter, then you can travel down the coast towards Guardamar, Torrevieja, La Zenia... where there are some smaller water parks, shopping centers and lots of beach side restaurants. 
    Hi Hannah. Thanks for the information. I have a question. English-speaking proficiency stands lower than in the other Europian countries. Will this affect any aspects of the travel experience? 
  • mrdavidw
    Options
    @Hannah_Scope I have a question. I was looking for online travel agents for my visit there. I came across https://gowithguide.com/spain and also a Facebook group of travel agents around the world https://www.facebook.com/groups/travelagentsoftheworld/ I was wondering what would be the best option to choose from, like looking for a guide on a travel website or a social group!
  • jackfruittiger31
    jackfruittiger31 Scope Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    It is difficult to advise you. With regard to car rental, it can be extremely expensive and you need to make absolutely sure that the rental package does not have any hidden extras which some travellers have only realised when they pick up their car.

In all fairness, we have never used a tour guide preferring to scout the local websites or online newspapers and then simply making our arrangements to visit. That method has really helped us and we have enjoyed ourselves immensely. 

I sincerely hope that you have a wonderful time.

• mrdavidw
    Options
    @jackfruittiger31I am not sure either. I am Just looking for all the available options out there. 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.