If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Marriage and Benefits

Options
LRN
LRN Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello, hope everyone is well. 

My fiancé and I are getting married soon and our circumstances are not going to change after marriage - we will not be moving in together until we find a new home.

I live in a tiny 0 bed apartment and he lives with his friend’s family. We live in separate towns 30 minutes apart and he needs to spend most of his time in his home town for several reasons.

My main concern is I depend on PIP, UC also with the limited capability to work enhancement and council tax benefit.

Once I log in to the UC portal to submit a change of circumstance (marriage) will my benefits be affected? Also my council tax benefit?

I know that PIP won’t be affected.

Thank you for any help.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Getting married is not a change of circumstances that needs to be reported. Living together is a change of circumstances. As you won’t be living together then your existing benefits will continue as normal. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • LRN
    Options
    Getting married is not a change of circumstances that needs to be reported. Living together is a change of circumstances. As you won’t be living together then your existing benefits will continue as normal. 
    Ok great so I don’t need to change anything with them, I was thinking that but wasn’t sure and was going to notify them just incase. But that makes sense! Don’t any to cause confusion by reporting my marriage.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No not all all, UC works differently to what tax credits did. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • LRN
    Options
    No not all all, UC works differently to what tax credits did. 
    Thank you for your help.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @LRN

Welcome to the community! Wanted to say congratulations on your upcoming wedding :) I hope all the planning hasn't been too stressful <3 Hope you have an amazing wedding day! 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.