If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice re becoming a carer 24/7 / claiming financial support.

Options
SCmumof3
SCmumof3 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Myself and husband have been getting carers allowance for a couple of years as we have supported my mother in law by allowing her to stay in her own home. She is housebound, bad health ( on a cocktail of medication ) and has mobility issues so needs a walking aid. Until recently our regular visits and errand running worked until she had a fall that led her to be in hospital for the past 8 weeks. She has deteriated to the point she now needs to come and live with us so we can care for her day and night. She is unable to do anything for herself, even personal care! 

Neither us or mother in law receive any kind of benefits ( apart from carers allowance ) so hopefully this answers any questions that may be asked before advice given. 

We will both be reducing our working days to provide her with support 24/7 but at a cost of our monthly income. So what can we claim for if anything else? 

Pip is not an option as she is retired , she WILL be entitled to top tier of carers allowance now though! Is there any advice on what else we are eligible for ? 

Thank you so much in advance for any advice/ support.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There seems to be some confusion here. 

SCmumof3 said:
    Myself and husband have been getting carers allowance for a couple of years 
    Carers allowance is a benefit you claim for looking after someone that claims a qualifying disability benefit such as PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or Attendance Allowance and you wouldn't both be claiming it together. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/carers-allowance/
    SCmumof3 said:

Pip is not an option as she is retired , she WILL be entitled to top tier of carers allowance now 
    She can't claim carers allowance for looking after herself. You also said neither of you are claiming any benefits so I'm unsure exactly what it is you're claiming for looking after her. 

Does she claim her state pension? 

As she's state pension age and above the only disability benefit she can claim is Attendance Allowance. https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/benefits-entitlements/attendance-allowance/

For yourself and husband the only benefit that maybe possible to claim is Universal Credit. This is a means tested benefit so whether there's any entitlement will depend on your joint circumstances. If you have capital of more than £16,000 then you're excluded from claiming. You can use a benefits calculator to check entitlement. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator

Do you own or rent your home? If you rent then your UC can include help with the rent. 

If she claims AA and she's successfully awarded then one of you can claim carers element of Universal Credit (if there's any entitlement to UC) you can't both claim it. 

For carers allowance she will need a AA award for one of you to be able to claim this but earnings must be less than £139/week. If you claim this and UC at the same time then it's just deducted in full. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.