Hi, my name is llanstephan! Anyone with diverticular disease - do you eat nuts and seeds? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is llanstephan! Anyone with diverticular disease - do you eat nuts and seeds?

Options
llanstephan
llanstephan Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited February 19 in Start here and say hello!
Hi, I was diagnosed with Diverticular disease last June.

Since then I have been eating a high fibre diet and not eating any seeds or nuts at all, no tomatoes (except cutting the middles out), no grapes, kiwi, raspberries, strawberries, sweetcorn, even avoiding bananas. No nuts whatsoever either.

I have since read that advice used to be to avoid seeds and nuts, but have read that now there is no evidence to suggest these should be avoided. I really don't know what is best to do. I asked my GP to refer me to a dietitian or nutritionist, whichever was most appropriate, but was told that they would probably give me the same advice as he has, which is to try eating these foods one at a time to see if it affects me. I am really worried about doing this, as I was in such severe pain when I was first diagnosed and don't want to go through that again.

I then requested a referral to a dietitian/nutritionist through my surgery, but was told that I "don't fulfil the criterion for referral to NHS dietitian". The message had a link to an NHS website about Diverticular disease, and when clicking on that link there was a paragraph which read "if you are having problems with regards to knowing what to eat or have continuing symptoms of gas. bloating and bowel changes ask your consultant or GP for a referral to a registered dietitian who can provide more individual dietary advice".

It seems clear from this that I should be referred by my GP. I have thought about  contacting the Practice Manager to ask why I am being refused, as I think not knowing what I should eat or not eat does fulfil the criterion, as I have cut my diet quite significantly.

My other option is to pay for a private dietitian/nutritionist, but that appears to cost several hundred pounds per session.

Can anyone comment on whether seeds and nuts should be avoided, and any experience in trying to get an NHS referral please?

Many thanks. Llanstephan.

Comments

• Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 20,402 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 19
    Options
    Hi @IIlanstephan Welcome to the Community. We are not allowed to give medical advice on the forum. Members can however talk about their own experience. I have digestive issues which I am under a Consultant for and have recently had surgery to help with this. I myself would not touch seeds and nuts nor do I eat fat and have to be careful with dairy. Even fruit and veg I have to be careful with. I have to say it is very much an individual thing as to what suits each person. I kept a food diary to help me identify the foods I should avoid. I am very thin and my Consultant is concerned about my weight but I am doing my best. It is hard when you have been in a lot of pain as you are frightened to eat in case it sets it off. 
    Good luck with your journey.
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,280 Scope online community team
    edited February 19
    Options
    Hello @llanstephan, welcome to the community. I'm afraid the diverticular disease isn't something I have experience with, but I just wanted to pop in to say hello and welcome anyway! 

With regard to referrals, I have found that (at my surgery at least) they are being very picky with who gets referrals at the moment. I'd imagine the services are quite overstretched like a lot of things these days. It might be worth just having another go at explaining how concerned you are, or even making an appointment with a different GP if you're able to and see if they can refer you onwards. I hope you can find an answer soon! :)
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.