Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Budgeting advance Eligibility

Options
james1990
james1990 Community member Posts: 37 Listener
Hey. 
Do my benefits classify as earnings? 

As it says on the budgeting advance page 

"earned less than £2,600 (£3,600 jointly for couples) in the past 6 months"

Or is that for people with a job? Because if benefits count as "earning" then I'm not entitled.. 

Please could someone clear this up for me?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,288 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Benefits payments are not treated as earnings for a budgeting advance. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • james1990
    Options
    Hey poppy I have another question. Is it possible to get emergency pet treatment for an advance like would they allow it? 
  • james1990
    Options
    Like my dog is sick she wont eat because of tooth that needs removing and its going to cost quite abit to get her sorted. wish I got that dog insurance years ago now:P
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You can have a budgeting advance for all
    different reasons. I’m sorry to hear your dog isn’t well! 

Have you check to see if there’s a PDSA in your area? You can check here https://www.pdsa.org.uk/pet-help-and-advice/eligibility if there is and you qualify you can get either free treatment or low cost treatment. 

If not then you can ring the UC helpline to request a budgeting advance, providing you don’t owe anything from a previous one. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • james1990
    Options
    Yeah thanks again poppy. I'll give them a ring. 

• james1990
    Options
    Hey Poppy I just rang universal credit for a budgeting advance for my dog and they said I can't get one for emergency pet treatment.. 
    I thought it qualified but it doesn't.. 

• poppy123456
    Options
    You can ask for a budgeting advance for anything, unexpected expenses is one of them and emergency pet treated would come under that. See link. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/on-universal-credit/budgeting-advance/

It's not guarantee whether they will agree but mostly they do, unless you have a previous budgeting advance loan outstanding and then you need to pay that off before you can have another. 

If you don't have one outstanding then I'd advise you to ring again and hopefully this time you'll speak to someone different who will agree.
  • james1990
    Options
    Alright poppy thanks again xD
  • honestjon
    honestjon Community member Posts: 173 Pioneering
    Options
    james1990 said:
    Hey poppy I have another question. Is it possible to get emergency pet treatment for an advance like would they allow it? 
    If it was an emergency I don't think a budget advance would be the best option because of how long it would take and no guarantee you would get it.
    As someone else has said if it was me I would contact the pdsa if there is one near to you because the dog can receive treatment without money 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    honestjon said:
    james1990 said:
    If it was an emergency I don't think a budget advance would be the best option because of how long it would take and no guarantee you would get it.

A budgeting advance is usually paid into your bank on the same day you request one, if they agree to it. I do agree that's it's not guaranteed though. 

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.