If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Thrown Out Last Month / Sleeping on Sofa. Is there anything I can do to stop me being discriminated?

Options
Vycky5124
Vycky5124 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
I was unfortunately thrown out of the home I grew up in for 31 years last month, I am 34, autistic and work part time.   I have had some mental health issues due to a bereavement, and my father subjected me to various minority slurs and name calling before he made it clear he’d had it with me and wanted me to leave.

I sleep on my mother & stepfather’s sofa in a 1 bed flat; there is no permission to build and extension to this property to give us all a bit more space so we are considerably over crowded.   

I have been applying for every type of suitable accommodation for myself - private rented, council list, housing association flats and rooms in HMO’s, I am currently awaiting a phone call or e-Mail to say whether I can move into a 1 bed studio or not as I have had to have a third party background check for a flat I applied for.   

Is there anything I can do, any phone numbers I can ring or any services I can approach to help guarantee me a suitable home - it can be a flat or studio and I would need the space for a double bed / double room, sideboard / table & chair, kitchenette & a shower room.   I joined my local council housing register online but have seen no suitable properties. 

Is there anything I can do to stop me being discriminated against or treated differently due to my autism ?  

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,098 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Will you need to claim for help with the rent from benefits? If so then it may not be easy to find a private landlord that will accept you. Very few landlords will. If they do then they may ask for a guarantor. All you can do is keep looking and hopefully you will find something suitable. 

If you’re a single person then it may not be easy to find a social housing property either and you could be waiting years. 

I don’t think discrimination would be an issue as it would be more related to claiming benefits that you could be refused. That’s not disability discrimination because everyone has issues with that, whether they are disabled or not. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Vycky5124
    Options
    Thank you, I am waiting for some benefits - PIP - to be transferred to me after removing my dad as appointee - he mis used the benefit meant for me so this is why I did this so quickly, and as I have savings I won’t be able to get Housing Benefits or LHA right away.   I could be sleeping on that settee for years 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You won't be able to claim for housing benefit anyway unless you're either living in supported or temporary housing. All rent is now through Universal Credit, known as housing element. 

LHA isn't a benefit in itself. It's what determines how much help with the rent you're entitled to if you're renting privately. As advised above, help with the rent is now through Universal Credit. 

You mention savings. You will only be excluded from claiming Universal Credit if you have capital of more than £16,000.

If you have capital of more than £6,000 there's a deduction of £4.35/month for every £250 or part thereof over that amount. It doesn't mean you won't be able to claim it. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Vycky5124
    Options
    Thank you for this information - if & when I do get a suitable flat / studio, the plan is that some of the savings will be spent on new pieces of furniture, appliances & equipment to set me up in my home.   This would reduce some of the savings to the threshold I could start claiming.  

Is it dishonest if I say I don’t claim any housing benefits on an application but then start to claim at a later date because I wasn’t claiming it when I moved in ?  My mom thinks this is do-able to claim at a later date ? I’d worry about getting in trouble if I did that. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    No, it's not dishonest to say that because at the moment you're not claiming for help with any rent.

Please also remember that you can't claim housing benefit because it no longer exists. It would need to be Universal Credit you claim once your capital goes below £16,000. This can then include help with your rent. 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Vycky5124

I am so sorry to hear what happened with your dad. Can I ask, do you have support around you? I would encourage you to look at NHS talking therapies if you feel you need it. 

I see Poppy has been able to advise, and that you have discussions on other threads. Have you reached out to anyone like shelter or crisis for housing advice? 

I saw on your other thread that your mum has emailed the council to help reconsider. I would encourage you to reach out to your local MP for support. They may be able to put you in touch with someone locally to help. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.