Hi, my name is Collette218! How can my daughter do her Bronze Duke of Edinborough? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Collette218! How can my daughter do her Bronze Duke of Edinborough?

Options
Collette218
Collette218 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi all :) 
My 13 yr old daughter has chronic and debilitating foot pain (which the NHS can't find the cause of 5 years on).  She can stand and walk for short periods, sometimes as much as 30 - 50 mins pushing through severe pain, but that much would mean the rest of the day and the the next sitting and in lots of pain.  She won't try a wheelchair or use crutches so we don't get out much!! Most days she manages at her mainstreem secondary school, some she comes home.  We have recently seen an OT who ok'd a wheelchair (she won't touch) and blue badge, but haven't found any groups / help / others with anthing similar.  Any tips, links / advice etc apreciated...
Today's web search leading me here, was to find how she can do her Bronze Duke of Edinborough, which she is keen to do.  I was hoping to get her doing it on horseback as she already rides & has a horse she shares but not part of a riding school / pony club etc & we're not in any way rich like some equestrians, so I'm not sure we could afford the cost seeing the only sort of option I've found so far (its for Gold D of E not bronze).  She has used a bike in the past, not sure if she could now, it may be my next hope.

Thanks all, hope the day is treating you well.

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,081 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @Collette218 and welcome to the community! I hope you're doing great today? 

I'm sorry to hear the NHS haven't been able to get to the bottom of your daughters feet issues, I'm oddly enough also having the same issues with my own feet! When you say groups, are you looking for more local in person groups, or online things for your daughter to do? 

As for the DofE Bronze, I'm not entirely sure, it's not something I've been asked before.  But I'm going to rename your post and put it in a different category, so more people in the know will be able to see it and hopefully offer you some top advice. I hope that's ok? 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Collette218
    Collette218 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thanks 🙂 could be online or in person. We’ve concentrated on trying to find a cause & cure but she’s struggling alone and I’m sure getting in touch with others who are also struggling with similar issues would be a source of comfort and information sharing 🙂 thanks 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.