Local anesthetic — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Local anesthetic

Options
Binky1234
Binky1234 Community member Posts: 408 Pioneering
Just wondering if anyone has experienced ingrown toenail removal and would they mind giving me some advice please.
I had booked for a podiatrist to remove this private but unfortunately they could not do it without the go ahead of the support from my gastroenterologist consultant, never gave this a thought tbh.

Anyway long story short he was not willing and told me to cancel and that he would put me on the waiting list for podiatry nail surgery and I must say I'm shocked that was only a couple of weeks ago and I have an appointment for the procedure on the 5th of March. 

This monday I've to get my bloods done as I'm on dmards and these have been lowered something to with the phenol they will use anyway sorry I'm blabbing on here yet again.

I have purchased emla cream as I'm petrified of the toe injection nerve block as the NHS don't freeze area before injection,  so hopefully this will help. I have also been prescribed diazepam to take the day before  and on the morning of the 5th due to my panic disorder.

What I'm hoping for can any one advice me how to manage the local anesthetic as I'm led to believe they are quite uncomfortable and having fibromyalgia my pain threshold is not what it once was tbh. Just basically looking for feedback good or bad, I'm quite a level headed person and know everyone is different so will take all experiences on board.

Is there anything you wish you knew before hand, what did you do to relax, I'm taking my kindle and going to listen to a audio book via earbuds that's if they don't allow hubby in.

What I have done so far is bought emla numbing cream, arranged diazepam from GP which hubby has picked up it's a two day course of diazepam, bought open toed slippers and post op Darco Softie shoe. I also plan to ask if hubby can come in with me but not sure if he will be allowed but praying he is.

Sorry for the long post and tyi 

Knowing When to walk away is Wisdom, being able is courage, walking away with your head held high is dignity.
Tagged:

Comments

• WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 969 Pioneering
    Options

Hi Binky, what a cute name!

Had this done exactly a year ago without knowing much about the injections. I can say they weren't the worst I've ever had (posterior) and were less painful than the ones you get at the dentist where they start moving around..

Didn't feel the second one at all but the first felt like someone's nail was poking the underside of my toe which I was told is common. It didn't last long and was just uncomfortable, like pins and needles. It took my mind off the injection itself and when that's done you'll just be glad that you got yourself there and will soon be rid of the problem.   

Music will definitely help and a hand to squeeze. The two podiatrists were lovely,  calm and not rushed in the slightest. I asked for the lighting to be turned down which helped me. 
    I did watch some of the procedure but it's a bit brutal. My nails healed nicely and I too was offered a prompt service from our very brilliant NHS. Mine advised flip flops not sliders as the bandage is quite chunky until it's removed at the follow up appointment. 

• Binky1234
    Options
    @WhatThe thank you so much for your reply that's certainly put my mind at rest and like you I think the procedure is brutal as I admit that I've have watched the procedure on you tube and I'm ok with that since I will be a numbed up, infact that is where I got the idea of numbing cream for the injection if it works then it's the best £6 I've spent and if not toe late 🤣

Hubby does not understand how I can watch what is going to happen to me but for some reason I'm a need to know person and that likely does not help my anxiety but we are who we are and it would be a boring old world if we were all the same.

I'm so glad you mentioned the dentist as I can relate to that. 

Thanks again @WhatThe your reply is much appreciated.

Knowing When to walk away is Wisdom, being able is courage, walking away with your head held high is dignity.
  • WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 969 Pioneering
    Options

Glad I didn't see what happened first but the podiatrists weren't fazed at all, they were proficient and friendly - exceeded my expectations in the current NHS funding and staffing crisis 

• Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 7,335 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

@Binky1234
    Hi just wanted to wish you luck for your procedure and I’m sure it’ll all go well. 
    Nice to see you posting and I hope you’re doing good.

❤️
  • Binky1234
    Options
    @Lou67 will no doubt let everyone know how I got on. 
    If I recall you live in Scotland, have you been moved over to Adp? I have and it was a straight like for like so that took a weight off my mind as I thought maybe I would need to apply or get a review.

• Lou67
    Options

@Binky1234
    Hi yes i do live in Scotland, I haven’t been changed over yet. I had my pip review last January. So did they just change your account straight over and your benefit continued as normal. I am a bit worried about it. 

❤️
  • Binky1234
    edited February 25
    Options
    @Lou67
    Yip straight takeover, I got my review shortly after you if I recall correctly 🤔 

What happened with me is I received a letter from Scottish government stating when the exchange was going to be and on my statement it would say
    SSS ADP.
    You will get a letter similar to PIP with your award, review date and if you get the mobilty part a letter stating your award for access to mobilty and if you choose not to lease a tax exemption letter for when you renew tax, now if I remember correctly this is done at a post office whom deals with road tax, instructions are on this letter.

But yea like for like, straightforward the only thing that changes is the reference from DWP PIP to SSS ADP.

Like you I was worried but honestly it's all done straight swap over 👍 
  • Lou67
    Options

@Binky1234
    Good afternoon I hope your doing well.
    Oh yes that’s right your review wasn’t long after mine.
    Thats a massive relief that it’s so straightforward and they do it all for us.
     That’s one less thing to worry about. Thanks Binky.

❤️
  • Binky1234
    Options
    Well update toe doing great.
    Was not as bad as I thought it would be.
    Elma numbing cream certainly worked for me.
    Toe healing nicely.
    Just thought I would update and I would advise anyone getting ingrown toenail removed don't listen to the horror stories.
  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 20,471 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Binky1234 Great news. Well done.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,322 Scope online community team
    Options
    I'm very glad to hear it all went smoothly @Binky1234 that's great news! Thanks for the update. :)
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.