Open university — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Open university

nancywheeler Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hello. Me again. Whilst I’m here could anyone advise how i go about possible doing an open university degree part time whilst currently getting UC. How do I fund it? Do I have to get a student loan because my credit is shot to bits. Will this impact our claim? It’s something I’ve been thinking of for a while.


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,116 Disability Gamechanger
    If you're UC includes the LCWRA element for yourself then you can be a part time student without it affecting your UC. 

    If it includes the LCW then it will depend on what your claimant commitments are. 

    You can apply for a student loan to cover the fees I believe. They do not check your credit history for any student loan. Assuming you live in England this will help. loan-england-finance
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.