I have CP and my husband broke his leg — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have CP and my husband broke his leg

Options
dblg0503
dblg0503 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello
I am disabled with mild CP, I have primary school child. My husband use to help me a lot as I am aging and my health started to get worst. Recently he broke his leg. And I just can't cope. Everything on me: child, house, shopping. I am working part time. And I need to help him as he can't walk. I am so stressed and tired.
I am already on antidepressants as I had a difficult year.
I wonder if anybody here was in the similar situation and could give me a practical advise. 
Thanks.
Tagged:

Comments

• Kimmy87
    Kimmy87 Community member Posts: 315 Pioneering
    edited February 27
    Options
    I'd look at some short term fixes to help you cope, concentrate on essential household tasks and just leave everything else (forget about any ironing etc, for me I keep up with laundry and dishes, other things get done as & when), have food shop delivered (hubby can sit down and unpack/fill fridge and freezer), basic cooking like ready meals or things that go into the oven from frozen, is there another parent/family/friend who can help out taking your child to and from school, maybe a sleepovers or two so you can have a proper rest?

Would a short time away from work (sick or annual leave) be a very short term way of making things easier? 

Would hubby benefit from crutches or a wheelchair? There are usually places that will loan equipment.

I'd also say as the break is recent, people with broken limbs often find as they adjust to the injury and as it starts to heal, what they are capable of improves.
    I know when my Mum broke her wrist the first few weeks were tough, after that she managed like a pro.

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,213 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @dblg0503, welcome to the community. Sorry to hear things are so difficult at home, it doesn't sound easy at all. Kimmy has given some brilliant suggestions already. 

Do you have any supportive friends or family nearby that could help you out for a few weeks? I know it's not easy asking for help sometimes! Hope your husband's leg is on the mend soon.
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.