Carers allowance whilst claiming pip and income related esa — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers allowance whilst claiming pip and income related esa

cob121 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello. I have been on the old style esa for over 12 years and I also claim pip which I receive enhanced on both daily care and mobility. I have always cared for my mum who has mental health issues and now also physical she receives old style contributory esa and enhanced pip. We have always been a unit and cared for each other. I support my mums mental and emotional needs (her voice so to speak) my mum takes me to all my appointments etc as I cannot drive we also keep each other safe I.e If I was to fall she wouldn’t be able to pick me up, but she can call for help. Neither of us prepare or cook meals as my 20 year old daughter takes care of this. Would we be able to claim carers allowance for each other? Although we do not  live together my mum stays overnight at my house we are practically always together. I’m a single person/mum and my mum is a widow this easily calculates over 35 hours minimum. Also, as my 20 year old daughter who is in education lives with me am I right by saying that I do not qualify for severe disability premium? On the basis that she lives at the address? Thank you 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,298 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 27
    You would only be entitled to SDP if your daughter is either registered blind or she's claiming a qualifying disability benefit herself, such as PIP/ADP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care. 

    Is your ESA contributions based, Income Related or both?

    You said your mum claims contributions based ESA, is that the old contributions based or is it New style? If it's the old contributions based, does this include the Income Related top up?

    If she lives alone then she maybe entitled to SDP but if you claimed carers allowance for looking after her then this would prevent her being entitled to that. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.