Question on adaptations to home - Social housing — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Question on adaptations to home - Social housing

louise_jayne Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I was placed into a housing association flat by my local council approx 2 years ago. It was never ideal (lots of steps down from parking area to front door etc) but I could cope. My joints, pain and fatigue have gotten much worse since then and I’m struggling more and more inside the flat. I used to be able to step into the shower over the bath (with some difficulty) but now I can’t get my leg over the bath to step in. If I forced my leg over I’d be at risk of falling and seriously hurting myself. I’ve been coming to my parents home to use their shower (walk in, level with the floor but not a wet room) with my shower seat. My shower seat won’t actually fit in the bath at my flat, and I can’t get into the bath to use it anyways. I was thinking of making a request to Karbon Homes (housing association who own the entire estate) for the bath to be removed and a walk in shower or wet room to be installed, but I’m worried about them denying my request or just taking forever to get to it. Any advice on dealing with the application to make sure my needs are met? 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,271 Disability Gamechanger
    It wouldn't be your landlord that you would need to contact. First you need to refer yourself for a needs assessment from your Local Authority. Here.

    An Occupational Therapist will visit your home to do the assessment. From there they will determine what help they can offer you. If they agree that a wet room or access level shower needs to be installed then you can apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) if needed. disabled-facilities-grants

    The only downside is, it can be a lengthy process. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Kimmy87
    Kimmy87 Community member Posts: 316 Pioneering
    edited February 29
    Would a bath board be a useful interim measure while your needs are assessed and any applications go through, unfortunately these things can take a considerable time.

    You can sit down with your legs outside the bath, then move them in one at a time while in a sitting position. 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.