If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LCW for how long

Options
help101
help101 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Can somebody tell me how long you can be off work sick for? I’ve been off now for 8 years. That’s a long gap in my cv. How does anyone actually get employed after such a long time unemployed. Employers see a large gap and instantly your out the game right .We don’t do we? Get employed into decent jobs, the ones we’d want. Are we going to be forced to scrub toilets because we are seen as a drain on society. I’m in my late 20’s my mom has claimed since I was 5. Anyone else just waiting for the day we are throw off UC and throw into any old job because he have suffered with our health. How long has everyone been claiming, do we have any success stories of people being off work 10+ years and then going back into the sector they love? Should I be ready to clean the local towns toilets. 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,796 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @help101 hi and warm welcome to scope, I suppose my first comment would be that very few local towns have toilets any more. I have been off sick for 26 years now having decided to put my health before my wealth so to speak. In less than a year I will get my state pension, just a thought have you ever considered doing any voluntary work ?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Spike1776
    Spike1776 Community member Posts: 44 Connected
    Options
    I’ve been unable to work for 15 years but only three of those I was awarded LCW.even if I wanted to I just couldn’t,wouldn’t be able to meet and mix with people and like woodbine I’m just a year off receiving state pension.
  • help101
    help101 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    What kind of voluntary work? I don’t know any options. I don’t know how I’m supposed to move forward. I would love to be able to go back into care work. But I have struggled massively with my own mental health and I need tablets to keep me upright and even. Mental health issues run in my family unfortunately, I am just scared that one day I am going to be found fit for work, as I’m only in my 20’s nearly 30’s I’m a long way off my pension, and I’m not going to know what to do when that happens. I can’t see any government allowing me until my pension to be on benefits for my illness you know. Especially with what I’ve read in the white paper. It’s unheard of, long term sickness is one thing a whole working lifetime sickness is another and I’m just scared. 
  • Spike1776
    Spike1776 Community member Posts: 44 Connected
    Options
    help101 said:
    What kind of voluntary work? I don’t know any options. I don’t know how I’m supposed to move forward. I would love to be able to go back into care work. But I have struggled massively with my own mental health and I need tablets to keep me upright and even. Mental health issues run in my family unfortunately, I am just scared that one day I am going to be found fit for work, as I’m only in my 20’s nearly 30’s I’m a long way off my pension, and I’m not going to know what to do when that happens. I can’t see any government allowing me until my pension to be on benefits for my illness you know. Especially with what I’ve read in the white paper. It’s unheard of, long term sickness is one thing a whole working lifetime sickness is another and I’m just scared. 
    I’ve know people with mental health issues found unfit for work for over 30 years,if a person is unfit for work there’s no time limit set out and don’t worry about future legislation if say your are found to have LCWRA any future changes won’t effect current claimants only new ones,just take it day by day and keep in touch with your doctors.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The longest I have been unemployed is just over 2 years. There are many who feel able to get back into work and those who do not. As Spike1776 has said, there is no set time limit and I agree, just have to take it day by day :) Can I ask, do you have support around you for your mental health?

Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.