Change of Circumstances &PIP Journey — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Change of Circumstances &PIP Journey

Options
Jasper2011
Jasper2011 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi everyone, sorry if this is long but thought it may help others to understand it's not always a bad outcome/experience although it does impact your mental health when trying to access PIP and waiting for a decision after putting your life story out there to complete strangers can be gruelling!

I first applied for PIP in 2015 based on my Mental Health, compromised immune system and IBS and the multitude of medication I was taking along with my difficulties to complete every day tasks were becoming unbearable. My form was detailed with examples of my struggles but only contained details of my consultants details with NO reports from GP etc. I attended the f2f assessment with HCP and as difficult as it was for me to attend and pour my heart out, she was very understanding, professiinal & compassionate and it probably helped that she was an ex mental health nurse, following the assessment I was then awarded 3 months later with Enhanced DL and Standard Mobility for an ongoing period with a review after 2025

Over the years my health got worse and I was diagnosed with widespread OA fecal incontinences, chronic Pain making my life miserable and I was no longer able to move and I have become a couch potatoes and no longer enjoy any aspect of my life. I put in for a change of circumstances Aug 2023, was sent out shorter form to fill in and again, I gave lots of examples of my difficulties, prescription list and names of OT and consultants, I was given a paper based assessment and was awarded enhanced DL and Enhanced Mobility in October 2024 for an ongoing period to be looked at after 2033

I have not posted this to brag, I have posted this to try make people aware that if you complete a detailed form with lots of examples of where you have tried to complete each activity and what happens when you try etc and are able to provide details of all involved in your care, you are honest and leave your dignity at the door then hopefully your journey  will be assessed and understood properly where you may receive the financial support you need to live some sort of life.

I know mentally it's draining and not an easy process to get through and I wish all who struggle with hidden and visible disabilities get what they are entitled in a smooth way and wish all good luck and success!

Thanks for reading and hope it helps!

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.