My fear and worries about the advent of Assisted Death/Euthanasia in Britain — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My fear and worries about the advent of Assisted Death/Euthanasia in Britain

Options
JasonRA
JasonRA Community member Posts: 30 Pioneering
I think anyone with a terminal illness should have the right to choose, my worry is that Disabled people who the Right Wing press basically smear and ridicule daily will be coerced into choosing a "good death" because they're seen as a burden on the NHS or the Benefits system.

I tried to kill myself in July 2021 but I failed, damaged my liver though, I grew to realize that there is a reason to live to try to combat the mental disability I have, to live a more normal and prosperous life and to stay strong for my Mother and my Brother. 

I'm gravely worried that Disabled people will be nudged into ending their lives, I'm worried that Britain's financial woes and the NHS stretched to breaking point will offer this as a way to cut costs ala in Canada with their healthcare. I find it unnerving and disturbing, people call it a contentious situation for me it's cut and dry, if you have a terminal illness and live in the most unfathomable pain then there's a way out.

Disabled people are my argument that if there's a will there's a way, overcoming considerable odds and obstacles, I saw a lady, wheelchair bound, incredibly small and her arms were inverted and in an atrophic position where she could barely move, she looked at me and smiled, I saw the glint in her eyes. That's all I'm saying.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,712 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It appears that the Isle of Man and the Channel islands might be minded to by law allow assisted dying.
    I some how doubt that there is much appetite for it on mainland UK, and I hope I'm right.
    I have an immediate cure for what the right wing press think about us...never ever read it.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @JasonRA

I believe my colleague has sent an email over if you haven't seen it yet <3 Hope you are well today? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,637 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Personally I'm for it.  I'm far more interested in quality of life than simply 'life or death'.

Having to endure existence with little to no quality, no chance of improvement, and being trapped in unsuitable accommodation in an inaccessible society shouldn't be forced upon anyone in my opinion.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,772 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 1
    Options
    @OverlyAnxious

I don't like giving my opinion on sensitive topics but this is something I have felt really strongly about for a long time

For a long time I have thought that forcing someone to live a life of absolute pain, misery and anguish, denying them any chance of escape, is equally immoral as killing someone who enjoys life and wants to live

If a person was in so much pain (whether mental or physical) that they genuinely decided that to not exist anymore was the better option, I believe that it takes a special type of sadist to want to carry on inflicting that pain

That said I am totally against the idea of people being pressured into making the choice to die because they feel a burden or whatever. How the law could allow individuals to make the choice, without allowing people to be pressurised into it, I don't know
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,379 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @JasonRA I'm just checking in to see how you were feeling today?  Did you get a chance to read the email my colleague sent you during the week? 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.