If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Joint Claim Partner Moving Jobs On Universal Credit

Options
callumt72
callumt72 Community member Posts: 24 Connected
Hi,

I was hoping someone can help I have a few questions. A brief description, my partner starts a new job/moving job next week. She'll be doing less hours 32 hours instead of 40 but same annual salary, we have a joint universal credit claim I recieve LCWRA and partner gets Care element together with rent etc... and other elements. 

Question 1:

Will we be punished for partner moving jobs? (Same Salary), (Less hours)

Question 2:

My partner will get 2 salaries this month 1 from her old job and 1 from her new job totalling well over any universal credit entitlement, I read the following on the Understand Universal Credit website: "If your earnings are high enough to receive no Universal Credit payment in a month, your Universal Credit claim will be closed." is this true? (as for the next month I don't want to redo work assessment and reapply for universal credit.

Question 3:
When is the best time to tell universal credit about the change/move of employement? (partner already on PAYE, do they know?)

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    1/ No because they claim carers element so they have no work commitments.

2/ That’s no longer correct, it’s now 6 months at zero UC before a claim will close. 

3/ Your partner will need to report the changes once they start the new job and not before. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • callumt72
    callumt72 Community member Posts: 24 Connected
    Options
    1/ No because they claim carers element so they have no work commitments.

2/ That’s no longer correct, it’s now 6 months at zero UC before a claim will close. 

3/ Your partner will need to report the changes once they start the new job and not before. 
    Thank you poppy123456 or you 100% right about question 2 it's quite worrying becuase of what is on google search, for question 3 if she lets them no once she starts will that imediatlly affect universal credit or will it just allow them to prepare for future months payments. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I’m absolutely 100% correct about UC remaining open for 6 months due to a zero award. The rules for this changed during the pandemic. If for any reason is does close then you can log into your journal and make a rapid reclaim and you will keep the same assessment period and payment dates. You will not need to go through another WCA. 

No it won’t affect your UC as soon as she starts her new job. Your UC entitlement is based on earnings received each month and it’s the last day of each assessment period that determines your entitlement. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.