Advice needed — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice needed

ella1992 Community member Posts: 171 Courageous
I'm currently on joint claim have been since 2018 or 2019 I work parttime I get work capability extee money on my uc I'm struggling at moment with my mental health and relationship if I leave will I lose my work capability or my uc how does it work plz 


  • ella1992
    ella1992 Community member Posts: 171 Courageous
    And also threatening to take my cats but there in my name and chipped I no there cats but not having him taken them ? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,189 Disability Gamechanger
    If you leave your partner, you won't lose the LCWRA element. What I advise you to do is take a screenshot of the decision letter for the work capability assessment, just incase anything happens.

    This is because when you go from a joint to single claim, or vice versa, you lose all your journal entries, including all your past statements. 

    If you split from your partner you will need to report a change of circumstances and tell them you're no longer living with them. Your claim will then revert to a single claim. 

    As they are your cats then yes take them with you. They are not just cats, they are part of your family. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Your benefits will be fine, do what's best for you and if your relationship is making your mental health bad or he's the sort to threaten to take your cats away then it sounds like you might be better without him!!! <3 
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,098 Scope online community team
    Hi @ella1992, I can see you're already getting support, but I just wanted to stop in and check if you have friends or family you can talk to about all of this, especially your mental health? 
    Albus (he/him)

    Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.