Extra bedroom due to PIP. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Extra bedroom due to PIP.

honeyhoney Community member Posts: 81 Courageous
Hi All

Today I got a message in my Universal Credit jurnal that I can apply for an extra room due to my disability. It looks like they granted me something for PIP after my MR. I'm still waiting for the official letter.

My family situation is such that we rent a 4-room house privately, as I live with my wife and 4 sons. However, since my oldest son is on our teenant agreement, they only pay us for a 3-room LHA house.

I wrote an appeal in December, but I still haven't received a response. Because I have difficulty moving due to chronic back pain, I cannot climb stairs, so I sleep on the ground floor in the living room.

Due to depression and anxiety, I often have trouble sleeping, so I watch TV until late at night.

Because I suffer from severe hearing loss (I use hearing aids), I can only watch TV when it is loud enough.

Also due to high blood pressure, I snore at night

This obviously disturbs my wife's sleep, so she sleeps upstairs in the bedroom and I sleep downstairs in the living room.

I have a question: are the above reasons sufficient to apply for an extra room?


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,926 Disability Gamechanger
    Just give your reasons why you can't sleep with your partner. Only a decision maker can make the final decision on that. Once a decision is made you will receive a letter on your journal. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • honeyhoney
    honeyhoney Community member Posts: 81 Courageous
    Thank you poppy


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.