If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What is something interesting about yourself that others do not know ?

Options
zaddy123
zaddy123 Community member Posts: 25 Connected
I am very flexiable because of EDS, I can bend my hands to touch my wrist 

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,075 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's scary to think about :D but good you can see the positives! :D 

I have been locked up in a prison cell
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,546 Scope online community team
    edited March 4
    Options
    I used to keep some strange pets as a teenager. I had a giant African land snail and a bunch of Madagascan hissing cockroaches. Boy do those cockroaches know how to breed :D not something I'd do again, but the snail was so cute!
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Ada
    Ada Scope Member Posts: 15,208 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I was kidnapped and held for three weeks. Until he got drunk enough and I ran for my life. For miles. I trusted no one to ask for help. 
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,707 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    zaddy123 said:
    I am very flexiable because of EDS, I can bend my hands to touch my wrist 
    I didn't realise this wasn't normal :D:flushed: 

@66Mustang I wouldn't have guessed that!! Would love to hear the story one day 

@Rosie_Scope I couldn't do cockroaches!!!! But the snail would be interesting. I saw a thing about people having to crush their eggs though and I couldn't do that 

I have a few but for now I'll say: I spent many nights as a teenager drinking too much and sleeping in the woods with friends under makeshift shelters. I don't think most people would be surprised, with me not going out at all now, having OCD and being scared of the dark :D 
  • Rosie_Scope
    Options
    @Ada not easy to live through something that horrible. Hope you're coping okay today <3
    Rosie (she/her)

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Rosie_Scope
    Options
    @Biblioklept, I only had one snail and it didn't ever lay any eggs so I never had to crush any. I used to love watching the muscles moving in it's body as it climbed up the tank, and seeing it nibbling on things with it's little teethy things. It seemed to enjoy having warm baths and having it's shell cleaned off with an old toothbrush. Never thought you could be so connected to a mollusc, but I loved that snail so much :D
    Rosie (she/her)

• Ada
    Ada Scope Member Posts: 15,208 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Ada not easy to live through something that horrible. Hope you're coping okay today <3
    It wasn’t easy. It made all the media. 
    I’m ok now but I don’t like locked doors or windows I always have to have a escape route. No matter where I am doctors hospital shop etc.
    The world is full of wickedness. It’s everywhere. No where is safe from it. Even if your being nice.  
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Do you think you'd get another one one day @Rosie_Scope?? 
  • Rosie_Scope
    Options
    @Biblioklept, not right now but maybe in the future. They're funny little things, but quite low maintenance and I find them really sweet. Not everyone's cup of tea, though!
    Rosie (she/her)

• Biblioklept
    Options
    I a little bit get the appeal but the sticky up bit on top of their heads gives me the heebie jeebies!!! Are they called antenna on a snail??
  • Rosie_Scope
    Options
    @Biblioklept The big ones are their eyes 👀

Then they have little mustache-style feelers on their face too.
    Rosie (she/her)

• bookrabbit
    bookrabbit Community member Posts: 196 Pioneering
    Options
    I had a whole tank full of African land snails but only briefly and they didn't get very giant. Someone sent me a little plastic tub with eggs in and they nearly all hatched but then half dried out and the other half got all soggy and rotted during the winter:( 
    I felt dreadful:(
    I couldn't understand how they got both too wet and too dry in the same tank.
    The only ones that survived were two I gave away and they got quite big and laid lots of eggs but I refused to take any back to try again as I didn't want to kill anymore.

I also got kidnapped but only by my Dad who pretended to be taking us to his parents in Ireland but then took us to America instead. So not nearly as traumatic as Ada's horrible experience but still not the best as I got sick and ended up in hospital in an oxygen tent without my mum.

• 66Mustang
    Options
    @Gnu89 I was sort of hoping you'd post on this as you always seem to  write something interesting whenever you post.

Why do you think you gave up?? I never really took to it but my Dad really loves woodworking so I am exposed to it a bit :smiley::D 
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Yes @Gnu89 having the space and all the tools can be a problem ... and an expense!!!!!

Personally I would love to get all the tools to start working on my own cars but I don't have any tools or anywhere to do it!
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    @Gnu89 Any recommendations? I really like a lot of things about Japan and Japanese culture but admittedly have never listened to their music. Do you like other things about Japan or just the music?
  • onebigvoice
    onebigvoice Scope Member Posts: 757 Pioneering
    Options
    I like to talk?  Yes I know, you wouldn't have guessed, hence the lecturing thing, but I believe that because I was a little deaf, I learnt to lip read.  Great when you were at a meeting for wage increases as a Shop Steward and the were having a huddle up one end saying things like don't mention our profits for last year and plead poverty.....
      So when doing our presentation I would incorporate profits for last year and the need to reinvest some of the profits to increase productivity.  This means if we increase the Targets for bonuses around production its a win win.  Came away with a 9% pay rise when all around were having pay cuts.....

• Biblioklept
    Options
    @bookrabbit I'm sorry you were kidnapped by your dad!! How long did he keep you in America for? 
    I never thought I could have snails and your post confirmed it for me!! :D 
  • WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 1,000 Pioneering
    Options

Gnu, I heard some magical Japanese music on radio 6 possibly Stuart Maconie a couple of nights ago

What a discovery well done you :)

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,127 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have never been able to do the same as zaddy123 but my 'party trick' was to lay on my front & put my feet around the front of my neck. I also have the hypermobile type of Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.
    Many years ago I had a hamster; unfortunately he died, so put him in a cardboard container next to the hearth as my husband at the time said he couldn't bury him as the ground was frozen. Imagine my surprise when I saw my hamster going across the hallway the following morning! So, yes, I gave physiotherapy to a hamster! A retired vet I later spoke to said my hamster had likely had a stroke, but my intervention had prolonged his life; he lived a further 6 months...
  • WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 1,000 Pioneering
    Options

One of the few singles I kept is Yoko Ono's Walking on Thin Ice 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.