Payment date — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Payment date

liljj_783
liljj_783 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
Hi, my son has been awarded dla scan date 23/9 I have received the back
payment, what date is dla usuaally paid each month, also I claim UC am I entitled to
more money now with them and do they back pay? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,808 Disability Gamechanger
    DLA is paid every 4 weeks and not monthly and everyone's payment day will be different. Once you receive the decision letter it will tell you what day of the week to expect it, it will be any day between Mon and Friday. 

You will also be entitled to the disabled child element of UC, whether it's the lower or higher amount will depend on what award he has. If his award includes high rate care then you will be entitled to the higher element. For any other award it will be the lower amount. 

If his award includes either mid/high rate care then you can claim carers element of UC for looking after him, providing you do not receive the LCWRA element for yourself. 

You will need to make sure you tell UC about the DLA award because DLA may not share information with them. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • liljj_783
    He’s been accepted for mrc and lrm. I do work will I still be entitled 
  • poppy123456
    Mid rate care will mean you’ll be entitled to the lower disabled child element which is £146.31/month.

You can also claim carers element, working doesn’t affect either of those elements.

To claim carers element you will need to report a change of circumstances. Then click caring for someone and tell them you care for him for at least 35
    hours per week and your UC maximum entitlement will increase by a further £185.86/month. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • liljj_783
    Does this get back dated? I thought carers Allowance would effect my Uc with me working? 
  • poppy123456
    edited March 5
    Disabled child element will be paid from the assessment period in which the DLA started. 

It’s not carers allowance, that’s a different benefit. It’s carers element of UC. There’s no earnings limit to this like there is with carers allowance. 

The only time carers element can’t be paid is if you’re claiming the LCWRA element for yourself. 
  • liljj_783
    Could you work it out for me Iv been backdated from 23/9. Iv asked for advice on my journal but no1 has not back to me? What do I do now ? 
  • poppy123456
    I"m afraid I won't be able to work out how much money you will be owed because it will depend on how much UC exactly you've received since the start of the DLA award. 

Before the elements can be included in your UC it will need to go to a decision maker for them to award it. Any money owed will be paid as a separate payment and very often takes quite a few weeks to pay it. 

Before they pay what is owed they will need to recalculate your past statements. This will tell them how much money you've already received, against what you should have received and you will then be owed the difference between the 2. 

You will need to wait for a decision to be made. 
  • liljj_783
    Is there a chance uc would
    take money off Me? When I put a change of circumstance in? Can I ring to speak to them instead of doing it online? 
  • poppy123456
    edited March 5
    Why would they take money off you? The only time they would do this is if you owe them money and they can take the money they owe you to pay back what you owe them. 

It's pointless ringing the helpline because they can only do the same as what you can do. When did you report the changes?
  • liljj_783
    The amounts above you put are 2 separate payments? So carers element and disabled child element? 
  • liljj_783
    I havnt reported a change yet i
    Just asked for advice on my journal
    im due to be paid 14th
    if I put a change of
    circumstance will they stil pay me 14th? 
  • poppy123456
    edited March 5
    liljj_783 said:
    The amounts above you put are 2 separate payments? So carers element and disabled child element? 
    Yes, two separate elements but both will be included in your monthly payment. You will still receive your payment as normal this month. The extra elements may not be included this month because the last day of your assessment period is the 7th March so there may not be enough of time to include them this month. They will just owe you extra money. 
  • liljj_783
    So they will back pay from September like dla did if I was entitled? Sorry for all the questions 
  • poppy123456
    You will be owed money from the assessment period in which the DLA started so from assessment period 8th Sept to 7th Oct, with first payment being 14th Oct 2023. 
  • liljj_783
    Wow amazing information, how do I get them to add the child disability element. Also how I do I ask them to back pay? 
  • poppy123456
    To tell them about the DLA award you need to report a change of circumstances and I think you click "children and other people that live with you" then tell them your son has been awarded DLA and tell them what award it is and when it's from. You do not need to ask for this to be backdated because it will automatically be awarded from that assessment period. 

For the carers element (assuming you're not claiming the LCWRA element for yourself) then you do as I advised here.
     poppy123456 said:

To claim carers element you will need to report a change of circumstances. Then click caring for someone and tell them you care for him for at least 35
    hours per week and your UC maximum entitlement will increase by a further £185.86/month. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.