Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Hi, my name is Claireoffshore! When will my payments start?

Options
Claireoffshore
Claireoffshore Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited March 5 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello! 
I basically need some advice regarding my claim on the 7th November 2023.
I am currently off work because I am waiting for surgery.
When I applied for UC,  I informed the DWP that I am unable to work and sent them a copy of my fit note. I have since sent sick notes each time they’re due to run out. 
I finally had my assessment and today 5th March 2024 have had my application approved. 
I’m reading conflicting information regarding when the payment starts. 
Am I  right in thinking that because I sent a fit note when I first applied for UC my payment will be backdated until then or do I still have to wait the 90 day period before anything is paid. 
I’m so confused! 🫤 

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Tagged:

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,142 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Claireoffshore - & welcome to the community. As you've sent fit notes continuously, then what happens is the LCWRA element isn't paid for 3 full months, so it's due from the following assessment period. However, as this is paid in arrears, payment wouldn't be until the date you normally get paid within the next assessment period. It's not backdated to when you 1st supplied a fit note.
    This also presumes you're not living with a partner who already gets this LCWRA element.
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,710 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @Claireoffshore, looks like you're well on the way to clearing things up with Chiarieds' help, but I just wanted to pop in to say hello and welcome. 

I'll put your post over into our Universal Credit boards in case you've got any further questions. Hope you'll find the community a friendly and welcoming place :)
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,483 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If 7th November was the date you provided your first fit note and the same date you submitted your UC claim then your waiting period will be... 

Nov to Feb ... LCWRA starts from 7th Feb to 6th March and first payment will be 13th March. No LCWRA element is owed. 

If you or a partner were receiving earnings since you provided your first fit note and didn't previously have the work allowance then you will be owed some money for that. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.