Need to vent…maybe guidance! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Need to vent…maybe guidance!

Options
cossamaximus
cossamaximus Community member Posts: 17 Listener
Good evening all,

my names Tim, I’m new here. 3.5 weeks ago I filled in my first ever PiP form, to be honest I filled it in online and submitted it within one sitting and afterwards found out I didn’t save myself a copy. So I have to request a copy from the DWP, which I received today. However after submitting the form originally I soon realised I did zero preparing, and answered the questions with no guidance, stupidly being too naive to realise there is help out there.

i have supplied evidence a diagnosis letter, a prescription list and some daily diaries as well as a statement from my partner outlining everything from her perspective as well explaining her contribution to my care. In her statement she mentions the implementation of aids, as for some reason, on my form I omitted mentioning the use of aids, like my walking stick, perching stool or grab rails, I just mentioned that when I move about I have to use walls and worktops to steady myself and gain balance and being generally unable to do certain things, I didn’t mention the use of aids at all, is making me feel so stupid,  because I do use them.

i have an assessment with capita next Wednesday, and although i think i am now prepared with my answers to possible their possible questions due to much research and video watching I still feel they will use my lack of detailed information on my online form against me.
And I’m worried they will rush me when I’m trying to get details across, do I stand my ground? Capita do say in their booklet that came with the assessment letter that it the call will take as long as it takes. 

i am also worried massively about the fact I drive a car, currently only once a day to school and back, and they will use this fact against me in so many ways, but I’m ready to explain the difficulties I have with doing so which I possibly also omitted from my original form.

I don’t know what I want to come from this post, I guess I just needed to vent in the hope someone else can relate and express their own view and possibly experience with a similar situation!

all the best everyone,
thanks

Tim

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @cossamaximus hi and welcome to scope, sounds like overall you have it covered, regarding the assessment (phone I assume ?) don't be afraid to stand your ground and get your story across, to get an assessment 3.5 weeks after applying is very quick.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• cossamaximus
    Options
    woodbine said:
    @cossamaximus hi and welcome to scope, sounds like overall you have it covered, regarding the assessment (phone I assume ?) don't be afraid to stand your ground and get your story across, to get an assessment 3.5 weeks after applying is very quick.
    @woodbine
    Thank you so much for your comments, I don’t know if I should see their speed of processing a good or bad thing?

suppose will have to wait and see, as I also have a lcwra I am awaiting an appointment for too.

stressful times for sure.

regards
    Tim
  • cossamaximus
    Options
    That meant to say I also have a lcwra assessment I am waiting to hear about. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Good luck for both let us know how you get on.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,189 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The length of time it's taken to have your appointment for the assessment is no indication of what the decision maybe. You applied online and those applications are often quicker because you're cutting out the need for forms to be sent through the post, which takes time.

During the assessment make sure you do answer any questions with a simple yes or no. Doing this can lead the assessor to come to their own conclusions. The assessment can last anywhere from 15 to 120 minutes, sometimes longer. 

Once the report is written and returned to DWP a decision can take up to about 12 weeks. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cossamaximus
    Options
    The length of time it's taken to have your appointment for the assessment is no indication of what the decision maybe. You applied online and those applications are often quicker because you're cutting out the need for forms to be sent through the post, which takes time.

During the assessment make sure you do answer any questions with a simple yes or no. Doing this can lead the assessor to come to their own conclusions. The assessment can last anywhere from 15 to 120 minutes, sometimes longer. 

Once the report is written and returned to DWP a decision can take up to about 12 weeks. 
    @poppy123456

thank you for this, 12 weeks is a long time, conditions can change in that time, not to imply mine would, just an observation.

and do you mean do NOT answer with a simple yes or no, because i answer's heard people say this, but not to actually answer with a yes or no like you say!

I have written out my answers for many potential questions and their potential avenues they may take in response. And most of them are answered in such a way they have no choice but to listen to the whole response to get an answer. 

thanks 
    Tim
  • cossamaximus
    Options
    Ignore the word ‘answer’s’ in the ‘because I heard people say’ part, it’s a typo. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,189 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Yes, I meant do NOT answer with a yes or no. Sorry for the typo!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.