PIP Award help — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Award help

Options
Capitalm
Capitalm Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hey everyone, I’ve just been awarded PIP, and I’m curious if I’ve also been awarded the enhanced rate for mobility. The letter only mentions the enhanced rate for the daily living component, and I’ve scored a total of 30 points, with 12 points for moving around.

Thanks in advance guys! 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,287 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sounds like there's an error in the decision letter. You will need to ring PIP in the morning when they open at 9am. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Capitalm
    Options
    Hi Poppy,

Thank you so much for responding. I realize I may not have explained myself clearly. The letter is from the tribunal appeal court, which was today. Currently, I am on PIP but only receiving the standard mobility rate. I hope this provides better clarification. Thank you.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    12 points for moving around is Enhanced mobility. There maybe an error in the decision letter from the Tribunal, if so then you will need to contact them. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,237 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @Capitalm, congratulations on your award!  That must be a big relief?  AS Poppy has said, it may well be an error on the letter, so it's best to get in touch with them to check. 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Capitalm
    Options
    Thank you very much for the congratulations, Albus. I truly appreciate it. This is a significant relief for me, as I’ve been struggling with my health condition for over 10 years. Finally, I feel like I can put my mind at ease because life won’t be as challenging as it was before.

I’m considering appealing the decision, as it was awarded from a specific date. This is the second time I’ve applied for PIP, and I was accepted this time. However, when I applied back in 2017 for the same condition, it was refused.

Any information or advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Capitalm said:

I’m considering appealing the decision, as it was awarded from a specific date. This is the second time I’ve applied for PIP, and I was accepted this time. However, when I applied back in 2017 for the same condition, it was refused.

Any information or advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
    Can you please give some more information? What do you mean it was awarded from a specific date? Are you referring to your previous claim in 2017?

You can't appeal a Tribunal decision because you disagree with it.
  • Capitalm
    Options
    In 2017, I initially applied for PIP with DWP, but my application was rejected. Then, in 2022, I reapplied for PIP and was granted the standard rate for mobility. After appealing and awaiting a hearing, I’ve now been awarded the enhanced rate, which I’m delighted about. However, I believe I should have been entitled to this benefit since my first application in 2017.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Thanks. Thats what I thought you were talking about. Unfortunately you are too late to do anything about that claim in 2017 because the maximum time limit is 13 months for you to challenge that decision. 

The decision made by the Tribunal this time is only for your claim in 2022 and it won’t be from your previous claim. 

What you should have done at the time is challenge that decision. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.