Hi, my name is su101! answers about the pip process needed. Getting conflicting info. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is su101! answers about the pip process needed. Getting conflicting info.

Options
su101
su101 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited March 7 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I really need some help with some answers about the pip process i’ve been driving myself mad trying to work it out myself. 
I applied for PIP in mid january for mixed depression and anxiety disorder, DWP sent me a text to tell me to fill out the form and i did, shortly after (2 weeks maybe) i had a letter through the post saying CAPITA had scheduled an appointment for me in mid february (pretty much a month after i had applied) this letter was sent to me at the start of february so i could prepare myself. The day before my assessment i had a message from DWP saying a healthcare assessment was looking over my claim and would contact me if they thought i needed an assessment- i was confused by this because i’d already had an assessment scheduled. Anyway so the next day i had the assessment and i thought it went okay obviously i was on the edge of a panic attack but i got it done. The day after the assessment i had a message saying DWP had recieved my assessment report and were looking over it which was pretty fast all things considered. This was mid feb. I’d heard nothing more until just two days ago when DWP called me, a woman was on the phone and asked if i could answer some security questions and i answered them, she then said she was finishing up my claim that day and the letter would be sent out that day or tomorrow, and that i ‘wouldn’t have to wait much longer now’ all in all she sounded rather optimistic on her end of the line but i thought nothing of it. Minutes after i got off the phone with DWP i had a message from them saying ‘thanks for claiming personal independence payment we will shortly send you a ‘how your disability affects you form’’. Obviously this sent me into a spiral because i started thinking they are going to make me do the whole process again which i did not want to do. So i called PIP yesterday just to ask why that message had been sent to see if there had been a mistake. A guy was on the other line and i asked him about it and he said something along the lines of ‘oh yeah i don’t really know actually that’s a bit confusing yeah i don’t know’ so i was like okay that’s fine i’ll just wait and see but before i could get off the phone he said ‘yeah it looks like your claim has been disallowed the letter is coming to you soon’. I myself am convinced they have mixed me up with someone else with all these random text messages and whatnot. I cannot see how i can have been rejected i compared my form with the points system and i should’ve got minimum 10 for each mobility and living. If anyone has had this happen to them before please let me know. I just don’t understand why the woman wouldn’t have told me on the phone the other day if i had been unsuccessful. anyways i’m waiting for the letter to come through but i’m just so confused as to how i couldn’t have got it. 
If anyone has any advice please let me know as this is causing me too much stress and upset.

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,081 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hey there @su101 and welcome to the community. :)

I'm sorry to hear it's been so confusing for you.  The people you spoke to on the phone are in a call centre and are usually not trained in all things related to your benefits, so confusion can often happen. It certainly sounds like there was an error on their part somewhere.  The best thing to do is wait for the letter and see what that says and take it from there.  
      If the letter is correct and they have turned you down, you can ask for a mandatory reconsideration, so please try not to worry.  Though that's easier said than done I know. But we're all here to support you through this if you need us. 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • su101
    Options
    @Albus_Scope thankyou so much for those kind words of comfort. i think because i’ve stressed myself out so much through the process the thought of not getting it after the mental distress it has caused just makes it all feel pointless. I’m really hoping it was an error on his part because honestly he sounded really confused through the whole thing and i’m my opinion he did not sound like he knew what was going on. I just don’t understand why he would tell me the outcome of my claim if i didn’t even ask for it or want it i was happy to wait for the letter and read it on my own so i could understand myself what was going on. Thankyou so much for your help 
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,081 Scope online community team
    Options
    No problem @su101,  I know what it's like with bad anxiety, you tend to get stuck in your own head. I really hope it was just a misunderstanding on their part. But if not, we're all here to help you with the next stage. :)
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,149 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I would say it’s unlikely that they have mixed you up with someone else. Refusals do happen unfortunately. 

Once you receive the decision letter if it is a refusal then you can challenge the decision by requesting the Mandatory Reconsideration within 1 month of the date of the decision. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • su101
    Options
    If anyone has been through a similar thing to this please let me know thankyou! 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,149 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    su101 said:
    If anyone has been through a similar thing to this please let me know thankyou! 
    You are definitely not alone with being refused. 49% of people are successfully awarded PIP for new claims, this is up until Oct 2023. This means that 51% of new claims are refused. You can see the stats here. https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/personal-independence-payment-statistics-to-october-2023/personal-independence-payment-official-statistics-to-october-2023

Yes, you were told the decision over the phone but that's nothing new really, they will tell you over the phone. 

The text you received telling you that thee's a claim form on its way was very likely sent in error. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • su101
    Options
    @poppy123456 thanks for these stats but i’m now asking for those who may have been through a similar thing to myself, all your help is much appreciated but i myself think there has been an error in the system as i know what i said better than anyone else. 
    Thanks again for the help. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,646 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No two experiences are the same....usually, it does sound like there is some error on their part but we can't be sure and you won't be until you get the decision letter.
    Good luck
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.