Eon Next Text Re:WHD — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Eon Next Text Re:WHD

Options
OverlyAnxious
OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,651 Disability Gamechanger
Not another warm home discount thread...  :D

I received a text from Eon Next yesterday suggesting that I could be eligible for their WHD scheme.  (Possibly different to the gov't one?).  The text looked genuine, same as previous texts from them, and even had my account number on it.  

Is this genuine or it a scam?  I can't find anything about it on here or on the Eon website, and I usually receive emails from them rather than texts.

It linked directly to a survey website, which asked for my address, so I just closed it down at that point.  Just interested to know whether it's genuine or not really.  I can't be the only one to have received it.

Thanks

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,510 Scope online community team
    Options
    Iiiiinteresting.  What was the number it was sent from? That's usually an easy way to see if it's a scam or not. 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • OverlyAnxious
    Options
    Iiiiinteresting.  What was the number it was sent from? That's usually an easy way to see if it's a scam or not. 
    Not sure.  It just Eon Next at the top.  I haven't got my phone to hand right now but will check to see what the number was later.
  • JessieJ
    JessieJ Community member Posts: 516 Pioneering
    Options

I had nothing about the warm home discount, but have had 4 texts from them as EON Next, they were in October & November re their winter support tariff, they all included their number to call though.

Probably best to make a cuppa & call them.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,775 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There’s no other WHD other than the Government one. You can check online whether you’re entitled. https://www.gov.uk/check-if-youre-eligible-for-warm-home-discount
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Eon has an email address too if that helps :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • OverlyAnxious
    Options
    Here's a screenshot of the text.  (Account number blanked).

I can't work out how to see the senders number?

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,510 Scope online community team
    Options
    When in doubt, don't! 

I'd suggest giving Eon an email or call;

" You can email us at hi@eonnext.com, using the title "Example of scam email" and be sure to include a screenshot if you can."

" If you're not sure it's a call from us, we recommend hanging up and then calling us on 0808 501 5200."
    Albus (he/him)

Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • OverlyAnxious
    edited March 31
    Options
    To update this thread.  It was a genuine text.  I couldn't face any communication so just risked it and then forgot about it until today. 

Just put my meter readings in for the month and saw this on the app...

Don't understand how or why I'm eligible when the .gov site says I'm not but I guess that will remain a mystery.  :D
  • A_CRUCE_SALUS
    A_CRUCE_SALUS Community member Posts: 19 Listener
    Options
    We should never click links in anything without double checking. Its easy to fake apparent web addresses and caller ID...the actually text of the image looks fine so you could have tried to pinput that into a webpage. Scammers will show such a clean link like that, but in reality it goes somewhere ttally different...always keep an eye on the www urls too as you browse.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.