ESA support group and self employed permitted work — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA support group and self employed permitted work

Options
Alymak66
Alymak66 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hello all.
I have been on a long journey since 2008 with health issue which all began with chronic pain. In this time I have had multiple diagnoses which seems never ending. I have been a workaholic since I remember and have had a tendency to become very low and depressed if I am not working. As the years have gone on it was becoming impossible for me to keep working non stop in jobs, my home, with children on my own as a single Mum. I continued working long hours for years in poor health and tried to think of a job that I could possibly do where I didn’t need to commit to times, days hours etc.
finally in 2020 I had a brain wave and thought of becoming a private hire taxi driver. I began taxi driving in 2021 but hey Ho lucky me started with yet another illness which made me very sick for quite a while. My taxi work schedule was totally erratic, some weeks I would only take £50 and other weeks when I was not giving up, I would take £500. Working out the profit after paying the operator, insurances, taxi licences, fuel and vehicle repairs.. it was pointless me even working. Finally in May / June 2022 I stopped work. I was put in the ESA support group. Since then I have taken the time to change hospitals and lucky enough to get 3 more diagnoses. My health is in pretty good hands (well I think it is for now) and yet I’m doing okay with blood tests, I am told I am symptomatic but inactive, none of my conditions affect my ability to drive safely.
driving is therapeutic for me, I detest being stuck in the house and love talking to people! Since stopping working 2 years ago my mental health has suffered, i am also in a lot more pain. I have spent almost every day this last 2 years looking at permitted work. Realising permitted work is also not easy, I can’t stand for long, sit for long, work on a laptop or PC for more than 10 minutes. Driving people around for a few hours a day where I normally do not need to step out of my car is about my maximin capability now amd ideally I would like to try to do this as permitted work, mainly to improve my mental health but would also have a positive impact on my physical health as both are connected.
I realised recently that the only job for me now is taxi driving, for the company where I was a self employed driver you are able to switch on your device and work whenever you want to or able to. I’m wondering how I go about this and hoped somebody may understand my full situation with what my life entails, why I feel this is the only work that I am capable of and understanding the complexity of annual expenses as a taxi driver in order to understand how I can condense this down to a 5 weekly profit and loss report compared to the normal annual P&L as  Most people who are self employed only get to know their actual profit once a year. As there are a lot of vehicle expenses, licence fees, operator fees etc.. I’m wondering how this can be worked out if ESA want all running costs every 5 weeks? Vehicle running costs can vary and be very unpredictable so would I need to average everything out over a year and break it down in to a weekly figure? Eg taxi insurance is £1800 a year. I have tried to contact ESA every day this week to speak about this but each time I’ve been on hold for over an hour and cannot get to speak to anyone. I’m wondering if I can get any advice on this from the group? I do understand it probably isn’t worth me doing this job but I am more interested in keeping myself sane and alive more than earning money, if I can earn an extra £100 to £160 a week I would be more than happy. I’m scared to mess this up if I risk it to come off ESA and UC altogether as I would be under a lot of pressure to work more hours that way which would definitely set my health back once again to be pushing myself once again above and beyond. Any input or anybody that is in a similar situation, I would appreciate any advice, thank you kindly if any person takes the time to respond with any advice 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,700 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Permitted work and self employed is complicated and there’s really not much information on the internet regarding this. I don’t not how often ESA would expect you to report your earnings. You must make sure you do not earn more than £167/week. 

As you’re also claiming UC you will need to report a change of circumstances and tell them you are now self employed. 

You will need to attend a gateway appointment with a work coach to discuss your self employed work. You will also be expected to report your earnings and expenses on your journal on the last day of each assessment period.

Permitted work doesn’t exist with UC. Instead you will have the work allowance. This means a certain amount of earnings you receive each month will be ignored before the 55% deductions apply. 

If you claim for help with the rent it will be £379/month, if you don’t it will be £631/month. 

There’s some information here about self employed and UC. Please note that because you have LCWRA then the information about minimum income floor will not apply to you. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-and-self-employment-quick-guide/universal-credit-and-self-employment-quick-guide

I hope this helps and good luck with what ever you decide to do.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Alymak66

Welcome to the community! :)

I see Poppy has given some great advice and I hope speaking to your work coach goes well! 

I did also wonder, thinking outside the box, have you ever thought about being a driving instructor?
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Alymak66
    Options
    Thanks Hannah! Many years ago I was actually on a course to be a driving instructor funnily enough. No, it would never work due to unpredictability of my symptoms I can never make plans, arrangements etc. the taxi driving was great as you have a phone with an app, switch on and off whenever you want to. That takes the pressure off massively! Problem is I can only do a few hours here and there, due to the large running costs of being a taxi driver, full time is the only way you can earn anything. I wanted to do this more to keep me independent and help my low mood and miserable life being stuck at home in pain all the time. Best thing for chronic pain is distraction and to be doing things that make you feel good, talking to people helps me a lot, not sure if it is worth doing this as permitted work as it is so complicated with annual charges etc I can’t see how it can be done on a 5 weekly basis 😢
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Aaah that's a shame. I understand as my disability can be unpredictable too. It may worth reaching out to your job centre to ask to speak to an advisor? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Alymak66
    Options
    Mmmm I don’t think they really understand invisible diseases, mainly I’m advised to do some volunteer work but I know me and that would not make me want to fight my pain every day. I need a purpose for which I’m responsible for myself to make me feel self sufficient and human again! Thank you sincerely I appreciate your excellent advice 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.