Struggling to find a job — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Struggling to find a job

Options
antiquecollector
antiquecollector Community member Posts: 39 Courageous
Hi i am a 40 year old male who has aspergers syndrome,i am struggling to find employment in rugby where i live,i have failed in 4 job interviews and agencies are not getting back to me.

I can only do certain jobs because of a ligament damage in my left ankle,been applying for retail work,warehousing and cleaning jobs.

I drive but i do not have a working vehicle now.

Every time a job comes up loads apply for it.......

Looking for suppport and advice etc

Many thanx malcolm

Comments

• zaddy123
    zaddy123 Community member Posts: 25 Connected
    Options
    Have you looked into working from home?
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @antiquecollector

Have you thought about reaching out to Scope's Employment Services? They can help from CV writing to interview skills to supporting you once in the first few weeks of a new job. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Queen_K
    Queen_K Community member Posts: 182 Pioneering
    Options
    I am also finding it hard to find a job
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    I really do empathise with so many here. It took me 8 months to find this job. It's frustrating when the government say things like it's our "duty" and we can just "work from home" but then there is nothing. Scope is hoping to transform attitudes and help that employment gap. I would highly recommend the Employment Services if you are based in England or Wales. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • antiquecollector
    Options
    Hi and good morning folks and thanx for your replys :)

I would not want to work from home,i already feel like i am a hamster in a cage.....

The employnent services sounds good :)

I wonder what they can offer me in rugby? My cv is all upto date and well written.

I just wonder if it is just my aspergers that is preventing me from being successful in a job interview?

• MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 494 Pioneering
    Options
    My friends husband  successfully found employment  through Gumtree. While I'm not entirely sure if mentioning this platform could potentially breach advertising regulations for Scope, I would like to clarify that I have no affiliation with Gumtree. However, I thought it might be worthwhile for you to explore this if you haven't already done so. Although some employment agencies post on Gumtree to advertise job openings, numerous employers opt to directly post their vacancies on the platform. 

One notable advantage is Gumtree's provision of valuable insights, including the time of posting, which ranges from within the last hour to the duration a position has been advertised. This feature notably diminishes the chances of candidates applying to already filled positions, thereby saving considerable time and effort in the job search process. Additionally, users can specify their desired travel radius, enabling listings of vacancies within that area.

So, if you haven't already explored Gumtree, it might be worth giving it a try.  But regardless, I wish you all the best of luck with your searches!
  • antiquecollector
    Options
    Many thanx never thought about trying gumtree

Worth a shot eh

Just has to be a local job
  • antiquecollector
    Options
    Just checked on gumtree nothing suitable and some jobs i have all ready applied for too
  • WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 993 Pioneering
    Options

I found the ideal part-time, local job for me on Gumtree. As MW suggests, it's best to regularly check in for new openings.

Well done for getting those interviews! They are never wasted and you will have learned from them. I've missed out at interview stage too because they're not easy for many of us  :s

Voluntary work - anything that interests you - will give your applications more weight because you will gain experience from it and it demonstrates commitment and readiness to work. 

• MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 494 Pioneering
    Options
    @WhatThe

I'm glad you've secured a fitting part-time job. It is indeed challenging for people to find employment. I believe that the shortage of jobs is partly attributable to the rise of technology, which has replaced many traditional roles. 

Additionally, the increasing retirement age means that women like myself, who would have previously retired at 60, are now working until they are 66. In my office alone, 9 out of 20 staff members (both male and female) are over 60 and eagerly awaiting retirement, highlighting the issue. If the retirement age were lowered, it would create more job opportunities for younger individuals entering the workforce.
  • WhatThe
    Options

MW, I agree it's outrageous for women to have acquired an extra 6 or 7 years until we can retire (mine will be 67). French citizens are protesting against a 2-year increase!

antiquecollector, a good employer will give you feedback following an interview if you ask. If it's a job you really wanted then it's important to know what may be lacking in your presentation or experience. 

Always use a spell-checker and capitals where they belong (Rugby) as detail is important - I'm telling you this because you asked for advice.

Never mind how many others apply because claimants doing 'work-search' are mandated to apply for jobs whether suitable or not.

Focus on your strengths and skills such as driving. There are always driving jobs going and could be a stepping stone to other opportunities. 

• antiquecollector
    Options
    You can retire at any age though right?..

It sure is a tough job market in rugby right now
  • WhatThe
    Options

You can retire if you can support yourself of course. 

I've had 7 years slapped onto my retirement age and I can't.

• antiquecollector
    Options
    Yeah :) thats sad :(
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    @antiquecollector Good luck with those you've applied for, I hope you get an interview! 
    Hannah - She / Her

• antiquecollector
    Options
    Thanx its so very tough

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.