What're your realistic and unrealistic dream jobs? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What're your realistic and unrealistic dream jobs?

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,776 Disability Gamechanger
What's your dream job that you think is possible one day?

What's a job you'd love to do but you've had to come to terms with the fact it's no longer a possibility?

My realistic answer is either an electrician, an accountant, or getting into writing about a subject I like...

I always wanted to be a pilot but now I'm too old to start, and who would trust me with a plane when I have obsessive thoughts about crashing my car? :D 

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @66mustang

A job that I love that I think could be possible would be to work more in content and social media. 

A job that I think is no longer a possibility... Being a country music singer, seeing as I can't even whistle in tune! :D
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Ada
    Ada Scope Member Posts: 14,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I achieved my job that I couldn’t do anymore. Nursing Home Manager.
    But I started at 15yrs old in a what was called then “  mental hospital “ terrible horrible place. There were women in there Elderly women that were put in there as teenagers for getting pregnant. Really upsetting. 
    Then there were men and women who were violent I often got my hair pulled or punched. 

but it it wasn’t my childhood dream that I still regret not doing today.
    I firstly wanted to be a vet and work at a safari park. Then I wanted to be a vet but have my own farm. Where nothing got slaughtered.
    Then I wanted to have my own animal sanctuary and regret not achieving any of them. 
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 607 Pioneering
    Options
    My realistic Job role is something within IT as this is what I'm qualified in, I have a foundation degree in cybersecurity and ethical hacking. I have also done networking and have my Cisco CCNA Qualification and my CompTIA A+ Qualification. (Qualified IT Technician Certification) I passed college with all destinctions too and have a letter of recommendation from the CEO of Cisco. IT is my special interest and my special gift I can do anything with a computer from fixing, coding applications, designing websites and doing graphic design. I would love the get a job one day just my disabilities have always stopped me but its my dream to get back into it.

My dream job which is unrealistic is I always wanted to be a paramedic, Its always been a dream for me since I was young however they don't accept people if you have autism so wasn't something I was allowed to get into.
    I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,712 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I haven't worked for 26 years now, but before that I worked in sales and loved it.
    My dream job would have been to be a journalist but I had no intention of doing anything but leave school at 16.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• bookrabbit
    bookrabbit Community member Posts: 196 Pioneering
    Options
    My realistic possibilities are reducing rapidly as I get older and less mobile. I always wanted to write and suppose that is still a possibility and as I can no longer do as much I am more likely to finally find the time.

My dream job would be to be part of an environmental project. I am a bit obsessed with solar panels and am entertaining myself while in the hotel by planning to put a pergola up in the garden of my new house to put my solar panels on. I might never get it built and end up just leaning them on fences but it is giving me something to do. I was living entirely off grid before I was made homeless generating all my electricity with the panels and heating the shed with a bioethanol fireplace.
    But I completely lack DIY skills and never would have been able to be able to get that sort of job even when mobile. I only got my project done in slow motion from pure obsession.
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,626 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Realistic job a travel agent I studied travel and tourism at college.

My unrealistic dream job was to become a chef but unfortunately my disabilities don't allow me to do this 
  • michael57
    michael57 Community member Posts: 239 Pioneering
    Options
    being a herdsperson left school just before my 13th birthday started work on the sat at 4.30 am did 60  70 hours a week on my day off farmer took me to day release college passed 6 city and guilds exams i then had my first weeks holiday well i was ill had my appendix out on a sat morning went back to work the following sat still milking but no heavy lifting when i could drive went relief milking and cleaning up dairies that were having problems enjoyed every minute of my working life my dad always said to me if you have a job you enjoy its not a job your getting paid to do something you want to do now i grow seeds an give the plants to our neighbours so they dont tell my she who must be obeyed dawnie what i get up to in the garden 67 in age still 12 in the brain 
  • MaxAardvarkWisbey
    MaxAardvarkWisbey Community member Posts: 35 Courageous
    Options
    my realistic dream job is being a veterinary assistant! Currently studying animals, and will be for another 4 years :D
    my unrealistic dream job would be to run my own animal shelter, specifically for cats and exotic animals (rabbits, guinea pigs, rats, chinchillas, and ferrets if i could choose)
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,399 Scope online community team
    Options
    I'm with you on running an animal shelter! I've always said if I won the lottery, I'd buy a plot of land and help rescue and rehabilitate animals. :)

I've always wanted to be a marine biologist, specifically studying sharks, ever since I could speak apparently. But thanks to my feet not playing nice, I'd not be able to do any dives, so that's not happening now.

As for realistic dream jobs, quite frankly, I think I'm doing it now. I love helping people and you're all super lovely. <3   (maybe some more talk of Warhammer, or computer games though haha)
    Albus (he/him)

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Zimba
    Zimba Community member Posts: 1,873 Pioneering
    Options
    I’ve had many jobs but one of my favourite was being a Window Dresses for department stores many years ago, sometimes I would be still placing things when people were looking in the windows then move and they would be shocked and laugh, it made me smile 🙂.

Dream would be, having a small holding and running a sanctuary for old animals.
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,364 Scope online community team
    Options
    I'm another one echoing the animal sanctuary dream! I always wanted to do something performance, music or theatre related too but that wouldn't be realistic for a lot of reasons. To be honest, there's quite a lot I'd like to have a go at just for a day or two but not for a whole career, and that list would be pretty endless!

Not sure what my realistic dream would be, but I think, like Albus, I quite enjoy what I do already :)
    Rosie (she/her)

• birdwatcher
    birdwatcher Community member Posts: 37 Courageous
    Options
    I would have liked to have been a writer. I'd write my life story. Although I'd liked to have written sitcoms for tv
    But if I ever won the lottery I'm having an animal sanctuary too
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,399 Scope online community team
    Options
    I adore that we have so many animal lovers here. You're all good people. <3 
    Albus (he/him)

Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • bookrabbit
    bookrabbit Community member Posts: 196 Pioneering
    Options
    Everyone's dream job is the one I just lost!!

It was brilliant. I was lucky to do that for 18 years. I am going to try to cherish the memories instead of being upset about it being taken away from me. And I am still responsible for the last of the animals. They are all in foster homes at the moment but I am going to have 4 of the rabbits live with me once I am in my new house. 
  • Ada
    Ada Scope Member Posts: 14,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Ada said:
    I achieved my job that I couldn’t do anymore. Nursing Home Manager.
    But I started at 15yrs old in a what was called then “  mental hospital “ terrible horrible place. There were women in there Elderly women that were put in there as teenagers for getting pregnant. Really upsetting. 
    Then there were men and women who were violent I often got my hair pulled or punched. 

but it it wasn’t my childhood dream that I still regret not doing today.
    I firstly wanted to be a vet and work at a safari park. Then I wanted to be a vet but have my own farm. Where nothing got slaughtered.
    Then I wanted to have my own animal sanctuary and regret not achieving any of them. 
    If I had the money for more pets And owned my own home I would take in more rescue pets. But not owning own home would stop me because I would want security for them. And Betty’s insurance is getting so expensive with age. 
    I never got my dream job or at the least have more pets. It’s a shame because that’s where all my love would go. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.