Hip replacement and mental health — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hip replacement and mental health

Options
zog200
zog200 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi everyone!

Thanks for letting join the group and get others advice on my situation.
I had THR (total hip replacement) on left and right. The left side was done in 2017 and the right in 2018.
Both were performed on the NHS. Post surgery on the right seemed to be successful, as per what the information the consultant told me, and all seemed well. However around 12/18 months after  I started getting pain that was unbearable . I had GP ultrasound appointments as it was thought it was a hernia.
it wasn’t. In July last year I had a diagnostic/theraputic procedure which confirmed that it was the Rectus femoris tendon that was the issue.
This was being caused by the cup position, which was prominent and slightly open, causing it to aggravate the tendon in my leg.
There is a lump in my groin that give me sometimes unbearable pain and discomfort. Unfortunately medication does not help that much with the impingement. The side effect of this also is I now have sciatica on the left side compensating for so long from the right hip pain. 
I’m currently signed of work and received LCW this week. 
Would I be entitled to PIP as my mobility is very poor. I can’t dress/wash or do other daily activities.
I suffer from health anxiety also which was triggered after surgery when I had a blood clot on my lung.
I am on medication for anxiety/depression, diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol, zapain, and methacardomol to relax muscles. All are high doses.
Sorry for the long introduction, and I’m sure I’ve missed some information out, but please ask any questions, and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you and take care all.

Andy.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,731 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You can start a claim for PIP, unless you live in Scotland and then it would be ADP you will need to claim. Whether there's any entitlement will depend on how your conditions affect you, as it's not awarded based on any diagnosis. 

As I don't know anything about how your conditions affect you then it won't be possible for me to tell you if there's any entitlement. There's some links here that may help you. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Global/Migrated_Documents/adviceguide/pip-9-table-of-activities-descriptors-and-points.pdf    

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria

To start a claim you will need to ring the PIP helpline. how-to-claim it could take anything up to 6 months for a decision, sometimes longer. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,467 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @zog200 and welcome to the community! 

I'm so sorry to hear about your issues with sciatica and the tendon, constant pain can be so draining mentally, I totally understand that.  

If you're having issues with day to day activities, you can apply for PIP yes, there's lots of info here to have a read through. But we're all here to support you if you need a hand with anything. :)

Can I just ask, do you have anyone to help you around the house? Any friends or family? 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • zog200
    zog200 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Morning,

Thank you for commenting on my post @Albus_Scope.
    I do have my partner who helps with every day needs.
    I’ve only been out of the house a few times this year so far as my anxiety levels/pain can be unbearable.
    We don’t have a vehicle so that limits me further. I am 49 with a young family. It’s so disappointing that I feel now that I’m worse off than before I had my surgery.
    I had osteoarthritis in both hips caused by bi-lateral cam impingement.
    Another question I have… should I look into medical negligence by the NHS? The poor cup placement surely should have been picked up via the X-rays I had post surgery?
    Kind regards,

Andy.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,467 Scope online community team
    Options
    I'm afraid I cant advise on any legalities regarding negligence.  But I'm glad you have your partner for support.  Have you looked into Citizens advice to help with filling in the forms? 
      I understand how terrifying outside can be when you have high anxiety, I was the same, but slowly getting better now. It takes time, so be gentle with yourself. :) 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,020 Pioneering
    edited March 12
    Options

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.