Universal credit/Child element when child turns 18 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal credit/Child element when child turns 18

Options
Mushroompower
Mushroompower Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited March 12 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi. My child is 17 & currently recieving PIP. I am their carer & I recieve carers allowance & disabled child element aswell as the child element with universal credit. I would like to know what I lose when my child turns 18 years of age next year. We are unsure if they are able to goto university at this stage, I am unsure if they would cope in this situation but i just wondered where we stood with universal credit. I presume we lose the child element & the disabled child element of universal credit? Does that mean also carers? (Obviously if they go to university, I realise I would no longer be their carer as such) its all a but confusing on the gov website & universal credit havnt been that helpful either! 
Many Thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,530 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The child and disabled child element will continue if they remain in full time non advanced education up until the September after their 19th birthday.

If they go to Uni then those elements will stop because they will no longer be treated as a qualifying young person. 

The carers allowance and carers element will continue but there could be issues if they are living away at Uni, rather than at home or closer to home. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Mushroompower
    Options
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,322 Scope online community team
    Options
    Heya @Mushroompower and welcome to the community. How're you today?

I can see Poppy has already swooped in to answer your questions, but I just wanted to stop in and say hello. :)
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Mushroompower
    Options
    Can I just ask on back of previous question.. what non advanced education means? Does this mean Alevels? Or a diploma type of study? 
    Thankyou in advance
  • poppy123456
    Options

Examples of full-time courses of non-advanced education

Non-advanced education is any qualification up to A Level, or equivalent. Full-time courses include:

• National Qualification Framework level 3 or the Scottish Qualification framework level 6
    • General Certificate of Education Advanced level (A Level)
    • AS Level
    • Advanced Diploma
    • National Diploma, Certificate or Award
    • Level 3 NVQ, Award, Certificate or Diploma

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Mushroompower
    Options
    That is really helpful. Thankyou. I didn't know this forum existed til now & can see how helpful this will be in the future. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You're very welcome! 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.